Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stanegate Milestone -really- in situ?
Topic Started: Mar 12 2010, 09:03 PM (576 Views)
HelenG
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have wondered about that milestone too. If the course of the Stanegate is being sought in the fields to the north of Vindolanda, and the farm track passing the north wall of the stone fort is just that - a farm track - it is surely doubtful that this Milestone is in its original position? It is a shame, because the idea of having two exactly a Roman mile apart is so tempting.

That wonderful tome "Frontiers of Knowledge - A Research Framework for Hadrian's Wall" mentions the finding, in 1885, of 5 complete and 2 fragmentary milestones at Crindledykes, just east of Vindolanda. I wonder why they were together and where they are now?

It is also interesting to note that there is at least one other Roman Milestone believed to be still in situ. It is at Temple Sowerby on the A66 in Cumbria. See http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/stone/templesowerby.htm for a picture and more details. I'm kicking myself because I must have driven past it last Saturday and forgot to look out for it.

Helen
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Factoids & Trivia · Next Topic »
Add Reply