Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2010 excavations forum; A place to comment on the most recent work
Topic Started: Mar 27 2010, 03:08 AM (538 Views)
Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
40th Anniversary of Vindolanda Trust

I joined as a Friend in 1970 when it was first set up - yes, and have found the letter proving the status!

Mike and I dug in what was the 'Mansio' but has since been renamed - who can guess what it is now? No prizes for guessing! - in 1972. He found an altar, I got sunburnt and found nothing. His first and only time in a trench, bit unfair, that. (the altar is in the Museum). We stayed in a B&B down the road at Bardon Mill and walked up every day, and we worked for Robin Birley, Andy not even being thought of at that time.

The great find of the Tablets was made not long after we'd been up for a Friends Day and I always remember Eric Birley, upon seeing our thirsty dog which we had brought with us (dogs were allowed on site in them thar days), promptly getting her a bowl of water! (in the old West Entrance among the many photographs there was one of us at this Friends day - very sobering for us, looking at what a hairy pair we were in those days. LOL)

After a lapse of about 15 years I rejoined in 1995 and in 1997 did an obligatory week's excavation - sorry, can't remember which bit of the fort it was - for my Advanced Certificate in Archaeology from Nottingham University, and we've been two of the many Friends ever since. You might know me as the volunteer pot-washer who comes in May every year, and sometimes in September.

This year, as a first for us, we have rented a house nearby for 6 lovely months, to be close to what is the best archaeological site there is. I shall be able to do more pot-washing and Mike has volunteered to do another week in a trench, Andy's this time, ....pity it's taken nearly him 40 years to do the following week! Mike has got involved in the Stone Project partly as a result of finishing his OU Degree in Earth Sciences and he felt he ought to have a hands-on experience with the many lumps of rock, so please treat him kindly.....

So we will be around most of the season...

Malise & Michael McGuire

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply