Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Area A. April / May 2010;
Topic Started: Apr 6 2010, 04:22 PM (2,888 Views)
MichaelH
[ *  * ]
22nd Apr. at the end of Week 3. Photos taken along the road from the west gate, looking to the north of the road.
In the foreground the barracks south wall, then two rooms within the barracks. The semicircle of the roundhouse shows up as a yellowish colour curving through the nearer room.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 22_Apr_10_006__Large_.jpg (147.1 KB)
Edited by MichaelH, Apr 24 2010, 03:16 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
The barrack building south/east walls with an oven in the corner. A probable drain, then to the right the main road to the north gate of the fort. Large paving slabs are possibly from that road. In the background the barrack wall runs under that popular spoil heap, sorry to see it going now!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 22_Apr_10_007__Large_.jpg (143.42 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
Looking up the road to the north gate. On the right the west wall of another building (barracks or stable?) In the background large slabs of road paving remain, hopefully continuing north. In the foreground, rubble and earth road surfaces or foundations.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 22_Apr_10_008__Large_.jpg (143.59 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
Photo looking south down the road (via praetoria) with that west wall on the left. In the background across the main east/west road the entrance to the headquarters building (principia) aligns with the middle of the road.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 22_Apr_10_009__Large_.jpg (137.52 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
Photo looking east, across cobbled road and roundhouse, on the right a roadside drain then the south wall of the barracks.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 22_Apr_10_010__Large_.jpg (142.72 KB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great pictures & info as always Michael. I'm loving the armchair views! And I'm not alone -- your post has blown the lid off the "quickest-to-1000-page-views" record. Thanks a bunch for these.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Continuing Michael's series of Area A views, mostly of the North South road from the north gate to the headquarters.

Here is where we started our first day. Note the color change in the rubble, we have taken off the first square of turf. The raised slab with the finds bag on top (we called it "the sofa") is a handy landmark.

Looking east

T.Wolter
Attached to this post:
Attachments: day1.jpg (128.9 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Contrast with our day five shot!

The "sofa" is at about the level of the digger seen outside the fence.
This is taken looking from north to south. As we got further north the road surface was more intact.

TJW
Attached to this post:
Attachments: day5road.jpg (149.98 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day five again, this time standing at about our starting point and looking north.

TJW
Attached to this post:
Attachments: openroad.jpg (194.92 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Detail of the east side of the road, as we again look from north to south. There was tumble from a barracks wall collapse, but also some massive stones mixed in as part of a post roman foundation. Evidence of post supports was also seen
TJW
Attached to this post:
Attachments: roadwork10.jpg (183.7 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The Roadies

TJW
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ontheroad.jpg (198.72 KB)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wow, you really did a lot in those 5 days; interesting pictures. I love the fact you can clearly see the road stones are worn from decades of heavy use. I'm thinking I may end up knowing those same stones rather well in 2 weeks time...

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Worn stones? Here's the sandal level view.
I should note that some of these pictures are courtesy of Brinno, who has a good camera and knows how to use it.
Guess the thread should be renamed April/May 2010

T Wolter
Attached to this post:
Attachments: pavelevel.jpg (148.18 KB)

BeverlyJ
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thank you so much for the pictures and the info. I look forward to seeing that road at the end of June. I will have a good camera, borrowed from my photographer husband, but my photography skills are minimal. :P But I'll do my best!

Edited by BeverlyJ, May 11 2010, 08:51 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
They look pretty worn to me, very rounded/smooth...?

I'm planning to take lots of pictures and post as many as I'm able to. In addition to closeups of finds I want to try to establish a set spot on day one and retake from there as the digging develops through the week, to give a sort of time-lapse effect. We'll see if I've got the energy/inclination when push comes to shove. ;)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: