Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Area A. April / May 2010;
Topic Started: Apr 6 2010, 04:22 PM (2,898 Views)
MichaelH
[ *  * ]
1st photo. 5th May looking NE.
With the cobbled Antonine road (from 2009 season) removed a second roundhouse is exposed on the left. The first one, shown on post N°. 15 is to the right.

2nd photo. 16th May looking west.
Another roundhouse under the north intervallum road. The temple building is just visible, top right.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 5_May_10_007__Large_.jpg (179.17 KB)
Attachments: 16_May_10_002__Medium_.jpg (133.76 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brinno
[ *  * ]
The via praetoria where the trench uncovered the road's full width; photo taken from the north-east side.

I was wondering myself about these flagstones being worn or not. At least I could not see any cart-tracks like in the streets op Pompeii.
Since this road must have been used for decades or even centuries, I would have expected some of those.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Via_Praetoria_12May2010.jpg (271.43 KB)

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Two pictures from the roundhouse near the north gate.

The picture of the floor taken from the south; the other from the North-West.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Roundhouse_12May2010.jpg (190.64 KB)
Attachments: Roundhouse_Floor_12May2010.jpg (247.42 KB)

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Alastair's drain-work...

Picture from low level: taken from the south; the other taken from the west.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Drain_12May2010.jpg (104.01 KB)
Attachments: Drain_11May2010.jpg (239.43 KB)

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Either we got help from the little people...or this is Hazel standing further away than you would think.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 10May2010.jpg (196.72 KB)

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the man who usually takes the pictures; it seems only fair to me that he's on one himself as well. Michael, if you take the pictures in order to avoid being photographed yourself, just let me know, I am sure this posting can be removed...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: MH_4May2010.jpg (175.65 KB)

Kate
[ *  * ]
MichaelH
May 17 2010, 04:39 PM
1st photo. 5th May looking NE.
With the cobbled Antonine road (from 2009 season) removed a second roundhouse is exposed on the left. The first one, shown on post N°. 15 is to the right.

2nd photo. 16th May looking west.
Another roundhouse under the north intervallum road. The temple building is just visible, top right.
Michael, here is the pasted picture of the 2 roundhouses opposite the granaries

Kate
Attached to this post:
Attachments: roundhouse.jpg (295.42 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
Brinno, no I think you are correct that looks like him.
Kate, thanks for your roundhouse panorama

16th May. Looking south. At the end of our 1st day on the great north road.
After trudging miles along the Stanegate road, imagine entering the fort through the north gatehouse and walking down this 18 metre wide road. With buildings both sides, the barracks on the right and the north gate behind you. Straight ahead of you is the front of the headquarters building, very impressive.
Scary? depending on the purpose of your visit, new recruit, prisoner or slave. Maybe just a seasoned old soldier returning to your “comfortable” barracks, looking forward to seeing your band of brothers and visiting descendants of Atrectus the brewer? :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 16_May_001__Large_.jpg (157 KB)
Edited by MichaelH, May 25 2010, 11:06 AM.

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
17th May. Looking west. After seeming to have lost the road on the 1st day, this photo shows the next slab dipping steeply down to where Sheila is standing. Look to the right, two stones from the end of her spade and see what can occasionally be found amongst the rubble. (it’s upside down)

The corner of a carved stone showing a head but what was it, could be part of a gravestone, something connected to the god Mithras?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 17_May_002__Large_.jpg (157.85 KB)
Attachments: 17_May_003__Large_.jpg (143.67 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
17th May looking south. More large slabs with a barrack wall just appearing in the trench edge where John is pointing, in the foreground. Beyond the grass strip is where the road slabs dip down, to the left they are missing.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 17_May_004__Large_.jpg (163.25 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
18th May. Looking west. Road subsidence, what was the cause of that, crossing a previous ditch perhaps?. Along the trench edge should be the barrack wall, looks like rubble might have been used as buttressing to prop up the wall in later times.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 18_May_005__Medium_.jpg (132.47 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
19th May looking north-west.
More of the barrack east wall, bottom left, with the road slabs to the north. In the background, south of the gatehouse, more of the road slabs are being uncovered. This was during filming the Eagles Eye II. Notice the t-shirts this week, after morning frosts and hail last week, this week must be summer
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 19_May_006__Large_.jpg (155.81 KB)

MichaelH
[ *  * ]
20th May looking south-west, end of day 5. Two photos joined.
The great north road over 18 metres wide. On the right in the trench edge is the barrack east wall and probably a roadside drain alongside. To the left of the road the fallen wall of the next building.
Edit ......Joined-up photo by Malise.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week16May.Panorama__Large_.jpg (89.69 KB)
Edited by MichaelH, May 28 2010, 04:05 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Astounding. That last picture especially really puts it all in perspective. The IV Gauls meant business! Thanks again for yet another round of brilliant shots & notes Michael.

« Previous Topic · 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: