Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Area B blog, late April 2010; courtesy Tim "Badger" Wolter
Topic Started: Apr 29 2010, 12:14 PM (515 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
WeDig'er Badger is over digging in Area B with Justin this week, next week Area A with Andy. He's been forwarding e-mails at the end of the day, and OK'd a reposting here:

Day 1: 27 April

Fred and I make the long journey in pretty good form. It actually adds up to almost 24 hours of travel if you tack on the drive... Minor travel glitches along the way so we got in tired, late and slightly delirious. Slept hard. Woke up with sun blazing in the window. My usual senses told me 8 am and time to hurry for breakfast. But no, it was 6am and the world was silent. We are it seems far enough north that we are kind of Alaska like. Nights are short and still partly bright, dawn comes early and with emphasis.

Delightful weather.

Digging off and running, most of the crew were assigned to areas started last week. But there was a large area, maybe 12 by 10 feet that needed the turf taken off... Many barrow loads of turf, then of the tumbled rock and rubble that goes down the next 8 inches.

A few items turned up, although we are still too close to surface for any concentrated finds. Fred found half of a nice spindle whorl. And the usual assortment of pottery fragments. On the other side of the site two nice beads came up, one still has gold leaf on it.

Still early, so we may slake our thist a bit then walk up the hill to the Wall. And its quiz nite later, so there is usually a Vindolanda team. Not that Fred and I will be much help on the music trivia that dominates.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Day 2: 28 April

Long day of exposing a random looking pile of rocks. There is a clear feature running diagonally across it, but perhaps a Victorian era field drain.

A few finds turned up, might be random bits that have been tossed about. Found the neck of a cool ringed wine flagon. And a palm sized slab of decorated Samian ware. This bit had elaborate designs on it, hunting dogs, grape leaves, a fish.

Next trench over a coin in decent shape turned up.

Dubious weather tomorrow, so if no update means we got rained out and had to find other things to do.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Day 3: 29 April

Not a lot to report.

The area Fred and I were in had such initial promise....but the section I dug down was pretty much barren. I decided it must have been the floor of the village poor house...no artifacts larger than small pottery chips. Even the bones were small, maybe hand outs gnawed on more than once.

Fred did a little better, but not without effort. There is a large swath of river rock passing through the trench. Not natural, someone went to considerable effort to haul wagon loads of rock up from the river and dump them. Why? When? And over what? There were some broken bits of amphorae, big honkin' storage jars that would make fine road patching material once broken. But troweling between boulders is hard duty.

On the other end of the site are some rookie diggers. They laugh, they tease each other, then find interesting artifacts. A bit of bronze armor. A rolled up bit of lead, possibly a curse scroll (?)!

Breezy weather, three straight days without significant showers. Unprecedented!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Day 4: 30 April

Odd weather. Rain, sun, rain, sun, hail, sun. Nothing to slow the digging down.

Fred and I alternated areas today. The previous area with big lunkin' rocks continues to be artifact free. I can imagine a hired contractor back in Roman times being told 'Four cartloads of rock, Fabius, and top quality only, no refuse thrown in!'. Probably there is a ditch under it all.

The other area was better, we dug two more spindle whorls today (this is a circular weight used to hold down the loose end of yarn while weaving). That makes three in a small area, so perhaps it means there was a weaving establishment there?

Various odd bits of pottery also found.

Next digger over turned up the neck of a really pretty sapphire perfume bottle. When you think about how much sewage there was all over the place one wonders why perfume bottles are an infrequent find. Maybe some of those 20 gallon amphorae we find were filled with something other than olive oil.....cheap parfume?

- Tim and Fred
Attached to this post:
Attachments: whorl2.jpg (203.8 KB)
Attachments: whorl3.jpg (154.65 KB)
Edited by Badger, May 13 2010, 09:18 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Day 5: 1 May 2010

Crummy weather, off and on showers, so in and out of the excavators' shelter. Lower area of the trenches full of water, so we were working some higher areas, with bits of pottery but not much else. Of course, our supervising archeologist hopped in to have a quick scratch at an area and out pops a sestertius, which is a low-value brass roman coin the size of a silver dollar.

The village area remains an enigma, with random patches of clay, rock and rubble. Cobblestone roads seem to start, stop and merge at odd angles. A huge burning pit is found three feet from what must have been a building at least partially made of wood. Later Victorian era field drains cut across at crazy angles, and often have roman pottery bits in them. After all, that is what washes into drains when you dig them through an archeological site.

All quite perplexing.

It is an area that I find intriguing, because you just never know what will turn up next. But every year when I leave it I shake my fist at it.

Off to the fort site proper tomorrow. Right angles, broad stone streets etc. But much mystery there as well. More on that in the days ahead.

-- Tim and Fred
Attached to this post:
Attachments: wetB101.jpg (260.89 KB)
Attachments: wetB103.jpg (274.37 KB)
Edited by Badger, May 13 2010, 09:17 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Final Recap, Week 3

Area B report.

We came on site after a period of unprecedented sunny, dry weather. Justin claimed he had actually tried to spray water on the site the week before, better to see subtle soil features. If true, and with Justin's sense of humor one cannot be entirely sure, it would be the first time in 1800 years that water had purposely been directed into the site rather than out!

The main trench was oriented around one of those later buildings erected on top of later silt fill, which in turn was atop c. AD 230 cobblestone roads. A couple of stalwarts took on a pile of boulders which had been used to fill in a burning pit. Others worked under the building foundation level. Various interesting small finds, including some nice beads.

A subsidiary trench was put off to the west, to cover an area that on magnetometer showed an intense stone concentration. Could it be a building? Well, it could be, but it was not. A dense concentration of boulders was painstakingly unearthed, with very few finds.

Other areas of the subsidiary trench yielded several spindlewhorls to suggest the possibility of a weaving industry.

And of course with Area B there are two constants.....

The weather went bad on the last day, with rain and mud slowing progress.

And at the end of the week there were still mysterious areas of clay, possible ditches, fragmentary floor surfaces and short sections of cobbled roads going to who knows where.

Plenty of mystery for the incoming crews!

Tim Wolter

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply