Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Area A Late July-Early Aug
Topic Started: Aug 7 2010, 04:16 PM (2,353 Views)
Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi all

Some photos from 25th - 29th July and 1st - 5th August.

Thanks as ever to Andy, Justin, Alex and Beth for a) making it possible for ordinary people like me to have such a fantastic experience and b) always being full of encouragement.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_001.jpg (412.22 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_002.jpg (412.17 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_003.jpg (377.75 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_004.jpg (410.95 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_005.jpg (397.27 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_006.jpg (419.65 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_007.jpg (379.05 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_008.jpg (364.12 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_009.jpg (360.52 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_010.jpg (372.16 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
More photos.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_014.jpg (420.79 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_015.jpg (423.79 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_016.jpg (413.91 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_017.jpg (413.83 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_018.jpg (403.26 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_019.jpg (393.86 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_020.jpg (403.19 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_021.jpg (441.01 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_022.jpg (396.56 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_023.jpg (405.21 KB)

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And some more...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_024.jpg (405.32 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_025.jpg (354.97 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_026.jpg (359.21 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_039.jpg (409.44 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_040.jpg (417.4 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_043.jpg (425.89 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_045.jpg (394.62 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_046.jpg (422.7 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_054.jpg (349.17 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_055.jpg (417.93 KB)

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And the final batch!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_056.jpg (408.74 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_etc_2010_057.jpg (416.68 KB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Sue, these are amazing -- Wow! I pulled them from the team photo section into the running dig section so they'd get their own home. Looks like you had quite a time of it; it's going to be a lot of fun poring through and seeing what's going on! Thanks so much for the post.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
For reference, Sue was digging in the NW-most barrack block within Stone Fort II (the visible fort). And her trench was in the southern half of the NW-most unit within that long rectangular barrack block.
Posted Image

This barrack unit was first uncovered in 2009, and the 4th/5th Century levels exposed then. It looks like crews earlier in 2010 discovered a threshold to a small north-south hallway at the eastern side of this unit. Sue's crew found and dug out a pit at this threshold. And it looks like by the end of their dig they had reached an early cobbled floor level (the dark layer at the bottom of this picture). This would (I believe) have been the original floor surface for when this barrack was first built.

The visible fort (and this barrack block) was first built in the early 3rd Century. From what I understand, at the end of the 3rd century it may have been abandoned for some time (months? years?). In the early 4th Century it was then remanned and comprehensively rebuilt, on mostly the same foundations. (Which is why the floors and walls of the later buildings tend to line up with those of the 3rd Century.) The current programme of works is trying to determine whether the 4th Century barracks were still "military" or if they had "civilians," or both -- or if there was even a real difference in those terms by then.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for filling in all that info. It is so easy to be totally absorbed in the tiny area you're working in and forget about the bigger picture.

In our second week we were excavating a more central area which Alex named the Primal Scream room following our suggestions that the 'floor' surface was so irregular and there was so much broken pot that perhaps it was a room where frustrated soldiers could go and let off steam by chucking rocks at pots! No matter what that room actually turns out to be it will always be my therapy room! ;)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I love it! Maybe all houses should have one?

I also love that pic you got of the room with what looks like a big amphora buried in the middle. Is that the Primal Scream room?

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yes it is a very big amphora that Dilys, Jim and their nephew Oscar were excavating but in a different room. It needed its own tray to be carried away as it was so big! Not sure if there was anything inside it though.

We found quite a bit of amphora in the primal scream room but it was scattered about, not as neat as Dilys and Jims'.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I remember out in the vicus a few years back there was a house (?) with a big amphora buried in its floor. Never found out if that was a personal lavatory, or a storage container for perishables, or a safe/vault. Pretty cool to find another one!

Lesley
[ *  * ]
:) After 3.5 weeks finally finished digging the Antonine wall - :) No real finds just odd bits of broken amphora and pot.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Antonine_wall_4.jpg (1.72 MB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Whoa - that wall is a beauty! Is that running north-south directly under the later flagstone road to the HQ building? And its own cobbled road to the east? What fab pieces of archaeology. Had no idea those were even lurking there. Many thanks for the pic.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
If you sight down the line of the antonine wall you can see where it causes a humped area in the flagged road. various rises and falls in the road were suspected to be ditches and walls.
Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
What strikes me is, I don't see any sign of partition walls anywhere up the line. The Antonine road appears to be on the right (east), meaning the inside of the building would have been on the left, yes? Was this just one long corridor -- or are there internal partitions that don't show in the pic?

sandydeacon
[ *  * ]
According to Andy on his 'end of week walkaround talk' the internal partitions would have been wattle and daub.
Michael and I were very naughty and instead of going up and listening to Justins talk (which we had heard already) we sneaked onto the back of Andys. Very informative I have been dying to do that for years, Its hard to keep up with the whole picture when you are stuck in one building for a whole fortnight..

Sandy

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2010 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: