Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,559 Views)
Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
The Applications For 2011 will open on the 1st of November at 12noon GMT on the www.vindolanda.com website.

The forms will be similar to those that are familiar with them from last year with only a few minor amendments which we hope will make them easier to use. There will also be information about the archaeological study centre and its booking on the application page.

Major changes are planned for the Vindolanda website this winter - a complete redesign. However, these changes will not come into effect until the spring and will therefor not effect the bookings for the excavations :-)
Edited by Andy, Oct 20 2010, 07:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Dear all,

Some 2011 info about the season before we get going.

1. There will be a 24 week season next year. This will provide for 600 one week places on the excavations - 50 more than last year.
2. The dates for 2011 season will be from the 4th of April to the 16th of September.
3. There will be no breaks in the excavations season, every week is available.
4. There will only be one team, and this team will be working inside the 3rd and 4th century stone forts. No area A or B this year, we are all in it together :-).
5. The maximum number of weeks that you can apply for will be limited to 6 weeks on the booking system.
6. The day will start at 9:30am and finish around 4:30pm. Lunch at noon (1 hour), tea break at 2:45pm.
7. All excavators will be met at the new Archaeological Study Centre each morning and led up to the excavations. There will be no access from the site gate due to health and safety changes and designated changes in use. I am flagging this up now as it is a big change from what people are used to. However, it is important because we need to go through a health and safety presentation with all new volunteers next year before they start, and this will take place in the study centre. There is no skipping this, and all excavators are required to attend this induction session before starting. However, you only have to do it once, so if you are coming for more than one week, you can skip this on your second week. This is also an opportunity to look around the brand new fabulous museum.
8. All excavators who are coming by car are asked to park at the EAST car park at Vindolanda (the one closest to the Study centre, but NOT the study centre car park, this is reserved for residents of the study centre). The excavation staff will be parking in the east car park as well.
9. There will be up to 10 places available in the study centre each week for those who wish to stay there in supreme comfort :-)

Edited by Andy, Oct 20 2010, 07:28 AM.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Full info about the 2011 excavation season is now loaded onto the www.vindolanda.com website for information. This also includes details of the archaeological study centre.

Good luck to everyone on the 1st of November at 12noon.

all my best,

Andrew

Cestrian
[ *  * ]
When will Friends' Day be?

timadams
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Looking forward to the 2011 season.

gbrabec
[ *  * ]
Has anyone found the application form on the Vindolanda site? I'm having trouble.

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
gbrabec
Nov 1 2010, 06:53 AM
Has anyone found the application form on the Vindolanda site? I'm having trouble.
No trouble here. It was available right at 12:00 GMT, and it processed my application order without issues. You should try again.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Reaching the application form can be a tad tricky. Here's the direct link I found:
https://www.vindolanda.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=43

Good luck to all!! I've just booked mine for (hopefully) 9 May - 13 May. It'll be so nice to get my hands in the dirt again.

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
gbrabec
Nov 1 2010, 06:53 AM
N.B. you must be logged in to the web site before you will be able to see the application form.

IanS
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
If any body is having trouble, what browser are you using?
The application form doesn't seem to work with Firefox!
I could fill the form in but could not add it to my basket. After several frustrating attempts at filling the form out again I switched to IE and everything worked OK.
Seem to recall I had the same problem last year but of course I'd long forgotten.

gbrabec
[ *  * ]
I was able to process my application at 7:00 a.m CST. I forgot that the US Central Standard Time is 5 hours behind the UK, not 6, since we do not change our clocks until next weekend in Illinois. THank you for your help.

Bartonflyer
[ *  * ]
IanS
Nov 1 2010, 07:49 AM
If any body is having trouble, what browser are you using?
The application form doesn't seem to work with Firefox!
I could fill the form in but could not add it to my basket. After several frustrating attempts at filling the form out again I switched to IE and everything worked OK.
Seem to recall I had the same problem last year but of course I'd long forgotten.
Worked fine for me with Firefox (v3.6) - as a Vindolanda virgin, what happens next? Does the fact that you've submitted the form and paid mean that you have been accepted?
Cheers

IanS
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hmm, I'm using 3.6 too. It may be some setting in the browser then. I could fill the form out but adding to my basket returned me to the login screen and lost all the details I'd put in.
Bartonflyer, you'll get a confirmation email in a day or two. I'm sure you'll enjoy your dig!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Barton

In general, if there is a slot and you get your application in for it, you are good. On the vindolanda.com site, as part of the application, there is a pop up that shows remaining slots. Each year they have gone faster, but perhaps this time around with the economy being less forgiving, that might not be so?
I also got confused on the 5 hour vs 6 hour time difference!

See some of you first two weeks May, I figure.

Tim Wolter

Bartonflyer
[ *  * ]
thanks for that IanS & Badger - I'll be scanning my inbox with great anticipation !!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: