Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,510 Views)
BeverlyJ
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I got up early this morning to log-on at 7:00 a.m. here in Kansas City. I forgot I had to sign in so had to go through that part again, and of course forgot my passowrd. But I sent in an application for myself (I was on Beth's team in 2010) and for my husband - 2011 will be his first time. So hopefully will see some of you all the last week in June.

Only one week digging this year :( . My husband (a Brit) and I want to see English friends in the Lake District for the second week.
Edited by BeverlyJ, Nov 1 2010, 09:42 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I had no problems using Firefox, but all the info seemed to be jumbled up when I got to the page where you can check your order. Hope somebody at Vindolanda can make sens of my requests! :o

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A quick look at the pop up menu for available slots show them going rapidly. Third week of May is at zero available spots!

Guess the economy on both sides of the Atlantic is not dampening enthusiasm.

Anybody wandering in casually had better get busy right away.

Why, I recall my first dig in 2008 I signed up in early January!

Tim Wolter

georgina
[ *  * ]
Firefox worked fine with my application - wonder if it is because I'm upside down ^o)

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry. When we've all find out what dates we've got, are you going to do a roll call section like last year?

Gina, it must be murder on your toes having to hold on while you upside down!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It looks as if 72% of the slots got snapped up in the first 11 hours! 132 left out of 600.

I should think the Who's Coming feature will return, last year it was an afterthought, but in theory it could facilitate ride sharing and other conveniences.

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It will definitely be back! And perhaps smart to set it up sooner rather than later. Like Tim says, it could be of some real use in helping folks coordinate.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wow, just checked the list of dates available for 2011 and there are only 10 places left in April! Glad I got my application in nice and early and really pleased Vindolanda is obviously increasing in popularity as the place to be for volunteers. It says a lot for the team there who make it such a fantastic experience for us all.

Roll on May 30th 2011.... :P

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Well, I am thrilled to say I received my confirmation email earlier today for the weeks of 16 May - 27 May.

I cannot recall being this excited about anything in a very long time, and perhaps more than a person of my years should allow himself to be. :)

In any event, it's going to be a very long next six months.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
If anyone here would like their dates up on the brand new Roll Call thread, just let me know!

- Harry

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry

My weeks for the Roll Call are:-

1 week in May 16th - 20th

2 weeks in August 15th - 27th

Thanks, Mike C

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
I didn't want to say anything until my dates were properly confirmed in case I jinxed it.

I'll be there for 2 weeks from 9th May.

I can't wait..

Sunny

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
3 weeks next year!

30th May - 3rd June by myself.
25th July - 5th August with daughter Joanna pending outcome of her degree and whether or not she gets a job...

Nadia
[ *  * ]
Nice to hear from all you lucky people who got the places they asked for. I did too, but this year, things have changed, and people who have been coming for years, always at the same time, together as a group to save money on accommodation and got their applications in early (noon on 1 November), have been disappointed or offered nonsensical solutions like one week at the beginning of July and one week at the end (do they have any idea how much it costs to travel up and stay there)? I'll be there in 2011 but, as a Trench B loyalist, the enthusiasm has been dampened considerably.

emjharding
[ *  * ]
This is only my second year but I did what I did last year and filled in my form the minute (literally) the lists opened. However it was not my first but my third option dates that were confirmed.

Even before this, I assumed that there would in fact be quite a lot of cherry picking done and that 'first-come-first-served' would not quite be the case. They want, quite naturally, people who know the dig, know their way around, are experienced and knowledgeable.

It does however mean that a certain entrenchment ensues and might put off others who have something great to offer. I really don't know what is a good solution.....to pick the best qua qualifications and experience or to genuinely issue places on a first-come-first-served basis.

Looking at Nadia's post I think it's sad that people who have been coming for years and putting in an immense amount of sterling work have suddenly discovered they can't get a trowel in because so many others have respoded to the high-profile media attention Vindolanda has now attained. There is something undignified about this scrabbling for places.

So what's the solution - cherry picking first and then first-come- first- served? Suggestions?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply