Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,568 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Reaching the application form can be a tad tricky. Here's the direct link I found:
https://www.vindolanda.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=43

Good luck to all!! I've just booked mine for (hopefully) 9 May - 13 May. It'll be so nice to get my hands in the dirt again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It will definitely be back! And perhaps smart to set it up sooner rather than later. Like Tim says, it could be of some real use in helping folks coordinate.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
If anyone here would like their dates up on the brand new Roll Call thread, just let me know!

- Harry

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It was brought to my attention that the new "Roll Call" page wasn't allowing members to view or read it. My bad! I set the permissions wrong, and have hopefully fixed it now.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I'm loath to interject anything here. As a forum admin, I'm actually quite glad to see folks discussing a tough topic openly & honestly. I see no easy answer. It's two age-old problems: (1) unlimited desire vs. limited resources, and (2) balancing needs of long-time veterans vs. eager new blood.

In the end, I think it's healthy to see all sides, in the hopes of shedding light on one of the hundred dilemmas facing a modern archaeological project.

The only thing I would add is that this morning's post in another thread by Hadriana maybe offers an interesting "third way." It's clear that there will always be a ceiling on the amount of people who can be in the trenches at a time. But casting a broader net in the ways that volunteers could experience Vindolanda firsthand might take some of the pressure off of having to choose between new folks & old-hands from week to week.

Anyway, my two cents/pennies, and now I will return to the shadows. Which feels about like exactly where I belong on this one.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Needing long, preferably flat expanses, I'm wondering if the old parade ground would be further west, back up the Stanegate? Do parade grounds usually appear very close to forts themselves? Or are they placed off in their own special zone -- perhaps an area where the pomp & grandeur of Roman maneuvers could cow any nosy Brittunculi?

I've been off this winter on my own side endeavors (studying marine pollution -- the plastic junk that washes more & more on all our beaches, even the remotest islands: The Flotsam Diaries). But I'm slowly trying to wrap my head back around things Roman.

Sadly, there's not enough material from WeDig's '10 series to compile anything useful as a year-end wrapup. Anybody who got the Friends letter will have the best write-up anyway. With luck, Andy and/or Justin might be persuaded to give us WeDig'ers the two-penny version here if time & energy allow! No pressure. :D

I'm still working ideas for revamping the Digger's Guide so it's more comprehensive -- and so everything's all together in one easy-to-find spot. And I'm also trying to think up ways to keep visitors more informed about the state of the dig throughout the year. Google Earth is rumored to be taking more satellite snapshots this year. The current one dates all the way back to 2002, which makes it less than useful for showing the site today! If they come through, I'll be able to overlay current dig information with a fairly up-to-date birds-eye view. We'll see if it comes together.

Anyway, excited for '11. It's been far too long since I've had trowel in soil!

- Harry

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply