Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,518 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Barton

In general, if there is a slot and you get your application in for it, you are good. On the vindolanda.com site, as part of the application, there is a pop up that shows remaining slots. Each year they have gone faster, but perhaps this time around with the economy being less forgiving, that might not be so?
I also got confused on the 5 hour vs 6 hour time difference!

See some of you first two weeks May, I figure.

Tim Wolter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A quick look at the pop up menu for available slots show them going rapidly. Third week of May is at zero available spots!

Guess the economy on both sides of the Atlantic is not dampening enthusiasm.

Anybody wandering in casually had better get busy right away.

Why, I recall my first dig in 2008 I signed up in early January!

Tim Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It looks as if 72% of the slots got snapped up in the first 11 hours! 132 left out of 600.

I should think the Who's Coming feature will return, last year it was an afterthought, but in theory it could facilitate ride sharing and other conveniences.

Tim Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I suppose one obvious way the current system makes life difficult is that you need to have ready computer access, and apparently quick fingers, to get that request in right at the opening bell. Some of our more senior excavators might not be that computer savvy. For me the sign up happened when I was not even near a computer, but my spouse appears willing to go the extra mile to get me out of the house.

Hey, wait a minute....

Tim Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
NicC

Excellent.

I made my flight reservations yesterday, which warmed my perception of mid winter weather by a good 0.5 degrees.

Tim Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It has been very quiet on WeDig of late, our UK members have the excuse of being snowed in!

But the annual report came in the mail yesterday, and it has me warming up a bit.

Since the main research question of the current round of excavations is the relationship 'twixt vicus and fort, I found the bronze griffon a paticularly compelling find. There had been some speculation that it was identical to the ornament in the recently sold Cumbria helmet, and it indeed looks like a dead ringer.

So somebody in the vicus had at least the "hood ornament" of a military parade cavalry helmet.

At one point Justin was trying to persuade us that the vast expanse of cobbles in the vicus was a parade ground, but it would hardly be big enough for cavalry maneuvers.

Tim Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
One hopes for a more detailed wrap up of the 2010 excavations, but the demands of the upcoming season look daunting to our professional colleagues. And I agree, the available information probably precludes a "home-brew" version from WeDig posts.

It just seemed like a season where all the various jumbled layers of occupation peeked out as us randomly on both A and B sites. Much harder to sum up than say, the graneries of two seasons back.

Might we at least hope for the coroner's report on the suspected ancient homicide victim?

T.Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It is officially 1 February, so I can start my delusions of early spring. (It helps that I work in the Emergency Room, so I can recognize such milestones in real time, but have no windows to reveal the ugly truth out there).

Exactly 12 weeks until I lift off for Vindolanda, and if my math is correct, nine weeks until the first trowelful is moved on site.

Will you have it thawed by then?

Tim Wolter

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply