Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,461 Views)
emjharding
[ *  * ]
This is only my second year but I did what I did last year and filled in my form the minute (literally) the lists opened. However it was not my first but my third option dates that were confirmed.

Even before this, I assumed that there would in fact be quite a lot of cherry picking done and that 'first-come-first-served' would not quite be the case. They want, quite naturally, people who know the dig, know their way around, are experienced and knowledgeable.

It does however mean that a certain entrenchment ensues and might put off others who have something great to offer. I really don't know what is a good solution.....to pick the best qua qualifications and experience or to genuinely issue places on a first-come-first-served basis.

Looking at Nadia's post I think it's sad that people who have been coming for years and putting in an immense amount of sterling work have suddenly discovered they can't get a trowel in because so many others have respoded to the high-profile media attention Vindolanda has now attained. There is something undignified about this scrabbling for places.

So what's the solution - cherry picking first and then first-come- first- served? Suggestions?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply