Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 2011 Excavation Season; The 2011 Excavation Season
Topic Started: Oct 20 2010, 04:07 AM (2,490 Views)
sarcanon
[ *  * ]
gbrabec
Nov 1 2010, 06:53 AM
Has anyone found the application form on the Vindolanda site? I'm having trouble.
No trouble here. It was available right at 12:00 GMT, and it processed my application order without issues. You should try again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
gbrabec
Nov 1 2010, 06:53 AM
Has anyone found the application form on the Vindolanda site? I'm having trouble.
N.B. you must be logged in to the web site before you will be able to see the application form.

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Well, I am thrilled to say I received my confirmation email earlier today for the weeks of 16 May - 27 May.

I cannot recall being this excited about anything in a very long time, and perhaps more than a person of my years should allow himself to be. :)

In any event, it's going to be a very long next six months.

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
I think it would be terrific if Andy could chime in and offer a brief explanation of how the slots were allocated this time around.

Certainly there must be factors that we are unaware of. Furthermore, I must empathize with the Vindolanda folks who clearly had to know they were going to disappoint quite a few applicants. That cannot have been any fun for them.

Insofar as possible solutions are concerned, I'm afraid I have none to offer apart from those already suggested. The needs of the excavation are what they are, and the number of excavator candidates neither can nor should have any effect on that. I don't suppose expanding the season is practical either, given weather concerns and the fact that there must be an immense amount to do in the off-season in terms of processing finds, documenting results, etc., and that amount of work is likley directly proportional to the length of the digging season.

In any event, the Vindolanda folks appear to be eminently reasonable, and I cannot doubt but that they handled it in the most equitable fashion possible.

My sympathies to those whose requests were not granted.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply