Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Last Record of Vindolanda before Hedley; John Wallis, 1769
Topic Started: Oct 21 2010, 06:51 PM (754 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
My understanding is that the most extensive period of stone-robbing in the Wall area in general occurred between the mid 18th and mid 19th centuries, so there's the potential for much more to have remained at Vindolanda in 1801 than made it into the 20th century; I believe there are references to the bath house still having some of its roof in 1700. However, Wallis' 1769 account makes it sound like he actually visited, and it seems highly likely that he would have described all significant stone remains at least as well as he described the various types of tree-cover around the site. Presumably what stone remained was by then largely covered with soil and undergrowth.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
This discussion reminded me of a fabulous aerial photo of Vindolanda from 1967 I spotted a while back on the Vindolanda Tablets online site. Its obviously not exactly the period we're talking about, but it shows what a good portion of the fort and surrounds looked like before most of it was excavated. The low winter sun was perfect...
Edited by Justin-T, Aug 27 2012, 07:37 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Primary Sources · Next Topic »
Add Reply