Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Let the fun begin!; Opening week, 2011 digging season
Topic Started: Apr 3 2011, 08:27 PM (996 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It's showtime! Here's hoping for great weather, great crews, great fun, and some great archaeology. All WeDig'ers, any thoughts/pics you have of the opening week, please send them. Either a post here, or even a quick one-line text/email to text_style@hotmail.com if that's all you have a chance for.

Happy digging!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great notes! I really like the sound of the Thursday night buffets too, nice touch.

Are you just to the right (east) of the flagstone-paved north-south road that leads from the HQ out to the North Gate? (Trying to visualize so I can update the plan.) I think I remember that the beginnings of the barrack wall was found there late last year.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Terry S has posted a collection of Week 1 shots here. (They've helped me flesh out the Area of Excavations Wk 1 post.) Below are the low-res mid-sized shots from the album, with captions.
Posted Image
"Team Centurion" in front of, to the south of, the North gate. Justin was standing on one of the large flags.

Posted Image
In the foreground, two Picts who made it over Hadrian's Wall. Val and Ed will probably come back next year.

Posted Image
Just when you want to relax and have a much deserved cup of tea/coffee, a form to fill in.
Looks like it was all too much for the chap at bottom left.

Posted Image
Looking west. Large flagstones off picture to the left. Short journey to the spoilheap through the North gate. Hallelujah!

Posted Image
Geordie bottom with two Scottish frontages. Ground initially wet, but dried up nicely with the prevailing wind. Not too many finds all week - two nice bits of thick amphora handle and bits and pieces of pottery.
Edited by SacoHarry, Apr 17 2011, 08:18 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
More from Terry S here:
Posted Image
To the right of the flags, the barrack wall of Stone Fort 2. This continued past the excavators and then possibly turning to the east.

Posted Image
Earlier barrack wall of Stone Fort 1 looking south.

Posted Image
West of the North gate, in the Temple area (looking north). The wet conditions never got worse than those shown and radically improved throughout the week.

Posted Image
Forms (only one sheet this time folks!) nearly completed. Supervisor Kevin hovering.

Posted Image
Our refugee from the vicus. He fitted in well. He's happy because he has a red tee shirt and the rest of us haven't. Team Centurion pretending to work whilst he's there.
Edited by SacoHarry, Apr 17 2011, 08:19 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
And the last batch from Terry S. Great shots, thx much for sharing!!
Posted Image
"I think you need to press the red button Andy."
"Where is it Justin?"

Posted Image
Weather much improved - it got better as the week went on. The Via Decumana is probably under the diggers, not too far down.

Posted Image
John, at left, clearing possible robbed out foundations of a wall.

Posted Image
Looking north. Stone Fort 2 barrack wall still heading north, but expected to turn right about two feet further on. Week 2 should have cracked it by now.

Posted Image
No more dirty finger nails for a while! 80% of Team Centurion, at the end. Apparently, we weren't too far from a Centurion's quarters.
Edited by SacoHarry, Apr 17 2011, 08:20 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Oops, the original link to Terry & Pauline's Canon album didn't work. This one should!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Canon Photo Album links not playing nicely. Captured the mid-sized pics and placed them into WeDig Admin section, they should show up & behave now!

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply