Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 4
Topic Started: Apr 29 2011, 05:14 PM (508 Views)
PaulineM
[ *  * ]
Another good week especially on the midge front. Margaret, Chris, Matthew and I worked the whole week to clear the oven area of one of the barrack block rooms. We found a huge oven dominating the room. It was an interesting find which just seemed to get bigger and blacker as our fingernails got shorter and blacker. The whole room had been trashed to put it in with layer after layer of burning, stones large and small, clinker and stodgy clay (not to mention the appearance of yet more oven in other parts of the room). Margaret found a large stone in the shape of a loaf which we reckoned had been a fossilised left over from cooking activities. It was Friday and we'd all got slightly oven-happy by this stage!

Andy had promised us a drain but as we got down to the surface where it was expected we found stones and clay packing where it had been to form part of the oven. Next door's room, where Terry, Pete, Dave and Joyce were, had had their drain robbed so though the drain is still in the rooms to north and south we both lost ours.

Chris found a piece of Samian with a lead repair as well as an excellent example of a spade which is probably going to go into the museum. Matthew found a piece of reused column and Margaret discovered a lovely large piece of patterned Samian. I hope I've been able to attach a photo of Chris and Matthew taking samples from the oven. Terry's in the background in the room next to us. I took more pictures which will be on We Dig shortly.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_1121.jpg (2.78 MB)
Edited by PaulineM, Apr 30 2011, 03:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply