Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 6
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 10:33 AM (2,423 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
By the way, Harry, those two roundhouses were made of rather soft crumbly stone. When excavated the curvature was incorrectly exaggerated. When you are past the fences tomorrow compare them to other excavated examples that show a much broader curve.

Those tight little roundhouses would be little more than igloos if that were their true radius!

Tim W.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I shall leave the major features to Harry, who seems by nature better equipped to graph them out. Unlike me he seems to have invariably colored within the lines back in elementary school. No, the small and the odd seem more my province.

Several small bronze items up today, most rather corroded. Also lots of tile, some marked and a Samian stamp.

Here are a couple of pics. First the in-floor amphora mentioned a few days back. Was it indeed the loo or a variation on the storage pit concept? Personally with all the pots about I would have found a more portable, easy to clean option.

Second pic is of a roll of stuff seemingly used to protect backfilled sites. But what a grand product name!

Cheers!

T.Wolter
Attached to this post:
Attachments: anthea_samphora.jpg (573.57 KB)
Attachments: goodstuff.jpg (794.24 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Harry neglects to mention a notable event. Last night at Twicey Quiz one of the Vindolanda teams was able to secure third prize, a dime store fake budgie. (Only, it must be noted, by trading the second prize, a bottle of red wine).

Clearly we needed something to attach to the photographic marker stick used to record small finds and features.

In the first image our own Saco Harry proudly holds high the standard of Legio I Budgiecum after finding a nifty mortaria stamp.

Second image is a close up of the standard. The budgie is now safely packed for Harry to take home to his bird loving daughter.

T. Wolter
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Standard.jpg (263.81 KB)
Attachments: standard2.jpg (445.87 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The overall emphasis of week six continues to be the north south road dubbed “Temple Street”. Ongoing excavations of either side are bringing up the usual small finds. And the road proper is being nibbled into as seen in the first photo.

Under this Caracallan road, at an apparent Severan level, is this odd structure plunked atop the Antonine road surface and extending under the later road.

Justin’s twitter remark is spot on….nobody has any notion as to what it might be.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: adiostemplestreet.jpg (630.36 KB)
Attachments: whatonearth.jpg (810.34 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Cheers Kate
As I have mentioned in previous posts, my blog for non archeologists is at http://detritusofempire.blogspot.com/ It does feature the smiling faces and finished efforts of potwashers today.

T.Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Last two days of week six spent running on and off the site as showers rolled through. Still a fair amount of work done.
Harry and I are in a race to get back to the states, and will likely be posting a smorgasboard of photos presently.

Harry has a two hour head start on me, but I just might catch him.

From the friendly confines of the Twicey, bags by the door.

Tim Wolter

special thanks for the generous hospitality of all the last two weeks.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A couple of pictures of week six efforts on the part of myself, Al and Kirnan. This was a fourth century barracks room sitting atop a 3rd century roadway. And of course much more deeper down. The red line is the back wall in each case.

The first picture is before....

The second is after, with an ungainly load of rock dumped smack in the roadway. Why? Theories were voiced of a pit with subsidence, but the damp conditions precluded investigation.

Kirnan promises me resolution of this mystery if week 7 reveals it!

Tim Wolter

(have a fun birthday Sophie?)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: week2.1_007.jpg (921.5 KB)
Attachments: vindo2.5_017.jpg (1.01 MB)

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply