Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 6
Topic Started: May 8 2011, 10:33 AM (2,327 Views)
katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just to say thank you guys for the great update. I am also excavating in this area this week. It is heavy going at times but we are all enjoying the week so much, despite showers halting things for a short while today. The mysterious feature looks like a flue, but a flue to a giant oven? Who knows? Only time will tell after the rest of it has been excavated.
Pot--washing this afternoon revealed a graffito on BB ware and another mortarium stamp!

Kate
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry,

Great picture of that stamp. But it is not the Sennivs Stamp that was found last week! I thought that the Sennivs stamp was yours. From what I can see in the photo, your stamp is AN[...]. Wires crossed sorry. I will send you an update when I have a chance to look at it more closely. Lots of mortaria stamps so far this season, approx. 10 so far.

All the best,
Kate

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thats great Harry! You were right. It is a SENNIVS stamp. Couldn't see it right from the first picture. But the next shot is clear. There was a tile found today stamped LEG VI V, finder was Graham Collie. I found a gaming counter made out of Samian ware.

All the best,
Kate.

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have just one photo to add to the week 7 shots. The view is southwards of the Antonine road (left), the outer wall of the barracks, which has been bashed about at the northern end (middle) and the interior (right).

All the best,
Kate.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSCN0654.jpg (2.72 MB)

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply