Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The first historical reports of Vindolanda
Topic Started: May 26 2011, 06:00 PM (812 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It's easy to miss some of the stuff lurking in the corners here at WeDig. Wanted to take a moment to shine a light on the section on Primary Sources. There I've collected everything I can find on travelers' notes about Vindolanda from the distant past. Nothing is recorded of Vindolanda from the end of Roman Britain until 1702. But the 18th & early 19th centuries were a flurry of activity across all of the Wall region -- and many explorers & antiquarians visited Vindolanda itself.

You can read Dr. Hunter's report of 1702, Horsley's striking commentary from 1725 (published 1732), John Wallis's visit in 1769 -- as well as a number of 19th C writings, and even a few early bits & bobs about the Wall region itself. (Though the Wall was known as a Roman monument throughout the Middle Ages, the first "modern" glimpse of it comes in c. 1540.)

It's fascinating (to me anyway) to see the state of the remains through their eyes, real windows into an otherwise murky & mysterious time in Tynedale.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · News, Media, & Links · Next Topic »
Add Reply