Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 10?
Topic Started: Jun 9 2011, 09:11 PM (667 Views)
maryb_10
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry! I took some photos as well, but won't be able to post until Tuesday. (in transit home with the camera...) It was a great week- the rain held off until the very end. Will post more as soon as I can.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maryb_10
[ *  * ]
Finally uploaded some photos -- here are a couple showing evidence of a roundhouse in one of the barrack rooms. (if you look very closely...) I tried to highlight the section with some very fancy (cough, sorry) illustrative lines. They had to peel back a couple different types of floor over the course of the week to get there, but it was worth it!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Roundhouse_1.jpg (943.77 KB)
Attachments: Roundhouse_2.jpg (1018.93 KB)

maryb_10
[ *  * ]
I was digging in the barrack where the child's skeleton was found last summer -- didn't have many exciting finds, but Pat did uncover a lovely bit of Samian and a piece of brooch. The most exciting discovery of the week for us had to do with the cobbled floor -- it was not laid out quite as expected, and I am interested to see what kind of cobble pattern emerges in the surrounding barracks over the course of the next few weeks.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_0511.jpg (1.21 MB)
Attachments: IMG_0528.jpg (739.3 KB)

maryb_10
[ *  * ]
Helen was digging in the room next to us -- they had several interesting finds, but I only managed to snap of photo of the huge piece of lead that she pulled out of the ground. Possibly a curse tablet? (someone please correct me if I misremember any of these details -- the jet lag has killed my brain!)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_0429.jpg (4.02 MB)
Attachments: IMG_0431.jpg (3.87 MB)

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply