Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 11 pictures; June 13-17
Topic Started: Jun 21 2011, 12:12 PM (534 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
WeDig'ers Ian & Averil have sent a fabulous batch of pics from last week's dig. Here they are, with their notes. Jealous of the rest of the June & later lot who might get to be in levels like this!

Posted Image
Small samian bowl with potter's stamp

Posted Image
Misecellaneous finds - pottery, glass from a square bottle, nail

Posted Image
Andrew Birley (watched by Kevin Kerr) begins to dig down on floor beneath the early 3rd century AD Severan Roundhouses - to reach the floor level at beginning of 2nd century AD.

Posted Image
Floor level contains 'laminate' i.e. layers of bracken/straw, the right type of material to preserve writing tablets. The flooring is dug out, placed in barrow and sifted by hand - done here by Andrew Birley.

Posted Image
Justin Blake digging further, while Andrew Birley, Kevin Kerr and Karen Pidduck carefully sift the material placed in barrow.

Posted Image
Surprise: wooden beams, 3 feet wide. White labels mark upright wooden posts chopped off in Roman times. Anthony Birley looking on.

Posted Image
Wow! The beams are part of the top of a - water tank? About 3ft square with a wooden surround. Period IV fort, i.e. time of Emperor Trajan, before Hadrian's Wall.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I am about the color of that glass shard-green-with envy.

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Now, now Tim. We had the luxury of finding cobble nestled nicely on top of cobble. Look at the black, gooey mess they've got now.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Feeling a return visit to see the site since I left is long overdue.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Really nice digging & good quality photos, can't wait for my turn in August.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
I am also extremely jealous (even taking into consideration Justin's latest few tweets (for those reading this later, they were grim-weather related). I'm trying to rearrange the road-crash that is my diary so that I can come up again for a few days later in the summer, just to have a little look.

At least my lust for mud is satified by the TDP shenanigans on the Thames foreshore. If you think Vindolanda is wet, you should try excavating a complete human skeleton with the tide coming in and the wash from Thames Clippers chasing you up the beach ;)

Alas, I'll miss the Friend's Day, as my Friends are getting married, but I hope that the weather is good for anyone who is going and that you all have a great time.

TTFN
Sunny

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
What amazing timbers - looking forward to our return visit end of July/beginning of August if I'm given the go-ahead to dig by the hospital. Fingers crossed....

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sadly, when the timbers were lifted, there was nothing beneath them, and we have been rained off quite a bit this week. That should console those of you who feel like you might be missing something great. Vindolanda always seems to defy expectations. We hope we will be back in the trenches to bail out tomorrow.
Kate
p.s. great photos Ian. :)

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Oh, that rain must be frustrating for you, Kate.
Fingers are crossed for better weather for you all, so at least you can continue with what looks like top stuff. Seeing all the pictures just make me eager to come up and have a proper look :)

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Fantastic photos - would love to be there - although looking at Justin's tweets it has been a frustrating week. Hope you get better weather next week - will get up to see progress soon. NB when is friends night? I don't seem to have any info on it.

HelenG
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Friends Night is tonight (Saturday 25th June). I hope everything goes ahead despite the poor weather forecast. Too damp for camping so we'll have to miss it this year. Hope to get up there later in the year for a good look round. Helen & Michael

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply