Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spotlight On...; WeDig pages that may be of interest
Topic Started: Jul 5 2011, 07:28 AM (841 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
A lot of stuff has been gathered here at WeDig over the years. Sometimes it's easy to miss. So occasionally I'd like to spotlight a page or thread that may be of interest.

So, the first installment:

Vindolanda's so big, it might seem hard to believe that most of what's on view was dug by students, volunteers, & enthusiasts just like you. Whether you're a newbie or a Vindo-veteran, it might be nice to see how the site unfolded over many, many seasons of hard work.

With that in mind, WeDig has a page devoted to revealing the 200-year history of digging at Vindolanda. Scroll your mouse over the dates on the right and watch the plan unfold on the left. For more information, press the mouse button on top of any of the dates and read the pop-up notes.

Even if you only had a week on-site, you're now part of a long & fascinating story -- one that will probably be stretching on for generations to come!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks all. The idea for a little date in each frame is a great one. When I update at the end of this year I'll add those in.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi again all. With the trenches opening in just a couple days, don't forget the resources available to WeDig'ers in the Digger's Guide. Of special interest may be the Webcam feeds & weather information at the So How's the Weather? page. As of now all the feeds except Hexham Abbey seem to be live & working. A bright day on Winshields, and Walltown -- and a lot of folks visiting Cawfields to see the sights.

Happy digging!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
A different take on the "Spotlight" today -- The weekly site reports over at the 2012 Digger's Journal are getting an average of 925 page views per week. And if you discount poor measly Week 3 (why no love, sad week?), the average is 1029 views per week!

Thanks much for helping to make 2012 so far the best & most informative season on WeDig ever. Can't wait to see how the rest of the year unfolds.

- Harry

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Reviving the old "Spotlight On..." series. WeDig has grown over the years into a big resource. Sometimes it's easy to miss some of the cool nooks & crannies. "Spotlight On..." tries to point them out from time to time.

A few years back I put together a little page on the types of common artefacts you may find in the 3rd/4th Century layers. Seems like something that could be useful / fun for a lot of potwashing this season too!

http://s9.zetaboards.com/We_Dig_Vindolanda/pages/typical_finds/

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hard to believe WeDig has been documenting diggers in Vindolanda's trenches since 2007! Here's a trip down memory lane. Check out the write-up at the end of the 2008 digging season. (Before Twitter!! :o ) Photos picked from WeDig'ers just like you.

http://s9.zetaboards.com/We_Dig_Vindolanda/pages/granary1/

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
NicC
Jun 20 2013, 11:32 AM
Wow, Harry! I was looking at that article only yesterday!
Spooky! I swear I didn't know. :) Was talking with a friend on FB today and got thinking of all the old years. So much amazing stuff coming up year after year.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply