Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 19; 8 Aug - 12 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 11 2011, 08:14 AM (988 Views)
MickArchaeology
[ *  * ]
Just got back home from the site, having given up on Week 19 when BBC Look North forecast rain from Wednesday thru til Sunday.
Thought you all might like to see a pic of the ditch that Justin has been mentioning.

It is situated in the Centurion's house of the middle barrack block. The picture is taken looking South.

Note the wooden posts in the foreground and some collapsed wicker fencing on the south side of the ditch. The long section in the background was dug by my wife Muriel and myself on Monday and Tuesday this week and proved that:
a) there was no second ditch
b) there was an extensive area of rampart behind the ditch.

The wet conditions (we had 5 days of rain between 1st-10th) meant that it was not possible to do much in the ditch itself. Cannot wait to hear whether any tablets come out of it as it is full of lovely laminate and second century horse manure.

Mick and Muriel James
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMAG0111.jpg (1.93 MB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MickArchaeology
[ *  * ]
Jury is still out, I think. Because the weather has significantly kept us out of the ditch, dating evidence is still awaited but the thought is that the ditch is likely to be period IV or earlier.

There are a number of other attempts to get down to the ditch in progress up to about 20 metres eastwards.
All that is needed is some good weather before the end of the season to answer the questions

Fingers crossed

Mick
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply