Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 22; Aug 29 - Sep 2
Topic Started: Sep 1 2011, 02:39 PM (608 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A wall/rampart around the vicus? I do not recall anything similar in the vici I am familiar with.....are there others?

Actually, it looks as if this might be just a wall around the nice parts of town. There were other ramshackle shacks outside the walls. Was this an early "gated community"?

What the heck is going on?

T. Wolter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ah, I have it. The prototype for the Maginot line.

Hey! No fair going around the sides!

T. Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I dunno Harry.

The question would be if it was a military or civilian project. If the latter, the Army generally finished what they started. Even if, perhaps especially if, it was a rather silly thing to do in the first place (Antonine Wall anyone?). Besides, what would motivate the Army to do this, they had a perfectly nice fort already.

As to the civilians doing this, well, the quality of the finished stonework seems suspiciously good for late vicus work. I know Site B has been bashed about a good deal, but most of what we have been scraping around at under the watchful eye of Justin appears to be the kind of work homeowners might do on their day off....after a few pints of fermented liquids!

I suspect it will be an annex of an earlier military project. Side walls later robbed out as being in the way?

Where is that coin when you need it? Another argument against the late vicus theory, at that point cruddy pot metal radii were just about worthless and most roman sites of that era are awash in them.

T. Wolter

« Previous Topic · 2011 · Next Topic »
Add Reply