Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
T shirts v Polo shirts; Next year's gear
Topic Started: Sep 3 2011, 03:03 PM (1,388 Views)
Cestrian
[ *  * ]
Why do we always have t shirts? They really don't suit people like me with long necks. I would like to see a change to polo shirts because: (a) they have a collar which keeps the neck covered from the sun (you remember its that yellow thing which sometimes appears), (b) the collar can be turned up providing more protection and (c) the front partially unbuttons to allow some air to circulate which the close-fitting t shirt doesn't.

Do other diggers think the same? Would Andrew and the Trust be amenable to a change?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Gotta say, I kind of like the idea of a more versatile digger shirt. I imagine that anything deviating from "regular T-shirt" suddenly spikes the cost. But if a collared, breathable Vindolanda logo shirt were available, I'd probably buy one. Just sayin'.

Alex
Member Avatar
Com'on you irons!
[ *  * ]
I'm with Harry on this one, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra, for a polo..

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Costs can vary greatly and so accordingly does quality. I should imagine that the current t-shirts with a printed design are quite a lot cheaper than getting polo shirts which may have embroidered design, like the ones you see for school uniforms.

Personally I quite like the normal tshirt, but maybe it could be an option you take when stating what size you need. The if they are more expensive you can pay the extra up-front when you apply.

Just a random musing.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Just a note to Andrew - I have spent my working life digitising and producing professional embroidery designs for clothing retailers & manufacturers and in the gift trade. I have a lot of contacts in embroidery world. Sure I could get you a quality job done pretty cheaply if you were interested Andrew - no quantity too small, just email me a logo and I can get you quotes.
Regards
Fiona

Dougie
[ *  * ]
Hi Fiona, et al,

I was having just the same thoughts about polo-shirts, Nice though the teeshirts are perhaps it would be nice to have a choice. I'd certainly go for a polo shirt.

Cheers,
Dougie.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
hi all.
Polo shits for me. :P
There're more comfortable, practical & stylish. :D
Would like a material that's more breathable & better quality material than this years!!! :-/

Alex
Member Avatar
Com'on you irons!
[ *  * ]
Don't know about you Mike C but I'm sticking with the polo shirts, I think I will give the polo s***'s a miss.. :X

Mike C
[ *  * ]
whooooooops, thanks Alex for pointing that out :$
Although digging out all that smelly mud this year was very near to it. :X
Just to confirm, I'm not for Polo S---s! I'm with Alex & voting for Polo Shirts :D

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Polo s___s certainly gave me a giggle! Thanks Mike!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
This is exactly why WeDig needs a "Like" button!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Nah..

Like and Dislike buttons just create divisions. As things stand now you may agree, disagree or just think the sentiments expressed are weird. Its all good.
Now, could there be a utiliity that looks for and expunges naughty words? How 'bout ads for dubious merch?
Not that we have had much like trouble. Thus far.

T Wolter

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
T-shirts

Printing v stitching is an issue (kind offer aside- and gratefully and duly noted) although of course cost per unit is the other major issue. To be precise, it almost costs twice as much for the polo shirts than for t-shirts based on an order of some 650 units. I could therefore switch to polo but then we would have to sell them in the shop to cover the extra expense and this would remove the 'exclusivity' for the volunteers. Or I suppose I could up the price of the excavations to cover the extra cost accordingly. But this would be deeply unfair as there are those who would be happy with the t-shirt and they would be forking out for a style change.

Hence me voting for the t-shirts. If all was equal I might be swayed but cost is something I am trying to keep a lid on for everyone.

;)

Andy
Edited by Andy, Sep 19 2011, 04:33 AM.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Polo-shirts versus t-shirts?

Please don't add polo shirts to my collection of t-shirts - you'll spoil the set going back to 2001. :)

I can wear a clean one everyday for 2 weeks, plus one day! :D

We like them, they're smart, well-designed, tells people what we do and who we support, and no one else can buy them.

Andy says the polo-shirts are too expensive to produce so there is no contest.

Malise & Mike

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
My vote is for T-shirts designed exclusively for excavators. :)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: