Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
T shirts v Polo shirts; Next year's gear
Topic Started: Sep 3 2011, 03:03 PM (1,387 Views)
Jim & Dilys
Jim & Dilys
[ *  * ]
Forget about polo shirts, Dilys and I would like a duffle coat or a sou wester suit after the last two weeks of the dig.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Polo Shirts extra cost would be well worth it to have something more stylish & for me more comfortable. Andy, keep them exclusive to diggers & up the cost of digging. the overall added cost to dig would be minimal & compared to other digs it's cheep at half the price.
For those of you who have a collection (not mentioning any names Malise, he,he,he) it's time you had a makeover & brought up to date!!!!

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
How d'you mean - 'a makeover and brought up to date' - ah, I get it, my Roman costume. Bet its more up to date than yours is :D

M
Edited by Malise McGuire, Sep 21 2011, 12:59 PM.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
A Roman costume! I though you'd just got out the shower!!!!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Gee, I thought there was a toga party that I was not invited to!

T.Wolter

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Can we get back to the original topic of t-shirts or polo shirts and stop making personal comments about what other people wear, please?

M

Edited by Malise McGuire, Sep 22 2011, 08:55 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sorry. The Pub category gets a little silly.

I would love a polo shirt but acknowlege the price issues, especially if the number of shirts would be small.

My vindo t shirts are getting well worn....I wear them under my scrubs at work to remind me that I am working to be able to afford things like Vindolanda!

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I've got a big hole in my collection from '08 - '10. Maybe there's a market for these?? I should start looking on eBay.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Sorry Malise. Things do get a bit daft, it helps to get through untill the next dig.
I'm still for polo shirts.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Sorry Harry - I just looked on ebay - nil results for vindolanda t-shirts. People don't want to part with 'em.

Type in 'Vindolanda' and you get most of their publications, though.

M

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Yeah, I spent most of '09 and '10 doing eBay searches on "Vindolanda," "Chesterholm," "Bardon Mill" ...

Err... No. No, I didn't do that. That would be super geeky.

Cestrian
[ *  * ]
Thanks to everyone who has provided input to my suggestion, particularly Andy. It is good to see support for the idea of polo shirts, but as Andy says the cost is the deciding factor. I must confess that despite visiting the shop fairly regularly I cannot recall if it sells clothing. If you visit a National Trust property they have clothing such as fleeces and baseball hats for sale. Has the Vindolanda Trust considered selling clothing?

If we are sticking with T shirts can I make a plea for longer sleeves? Measuring from the seam under the armpit mine is just 3.5 ins (9cm) long. It is skimpy and could do with being (for me at least) about 5 ins.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi Cestrian,

To answer your good and specific clothing question.

We do have some limited lines of clothing (baseball caps, woolly hats and lovely VT T-shirts) but the reason why we don't sell Fleeces and waterproofs etc is again down to unit cost v sales potential. The National Trust will literally buy in thousands of an item and have hundreds of outlets for them. They very rarely do a bespoke item for a particular property. Just normal NT branded gear. We have 2 outlets and no warehouse to store them in. So again it tends to be the unit cost that is the killer. If we can't guarantee to shift a certain number at a certain cost within a certain time frame...we can't get them in at a sensible price. Same sort of basic business problem for every retailer both big and small but especially small.

hope that this is helpful. However, i do hear you on the longer sleeves - I will look into a long sleeved variety and see if it can be done. ;)

Andy

Mike C
[ *  * ]
polo shirts have longer sleeves

GillianD
[ *  * ]
I'd prefer to stick with a T-shirt. Polos are a bit butch for me and the collars invariably curl up on one side kindling OCD tendancies and a Sisyphean attempt to straighten them out. It's enough to bring on a bout of Inspector-Dreyfus-style twitching: have pity!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: