Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2012?
Topic Started: Sep 22 2011, 05:33 PM (5,392 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Any news on next year, Andy? I'm thinking about doing another week in 2012, so I'm just getting curious about when applications will open up etc...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
As far as I know the application opens (online) on 1st November, 2011, at 12.00 noon (GMT).
Kate :)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
November 1st seems to have become a tradition, but I am curious about other aspects of 2012. Did the late season shift to Site B mean that the Site A work was done? Or just deferred due to water. Will 2012 be seeing teams on both sites? And of course, next year being the end of the five year plan, what next?

But I would expect Andy and Justin to be busy preparing the site for winter slumbers. Nor would I begrudge them a few days of cheerful sloth after a long season. We shall hear from them presently.

Tim Wolter

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi all,

The applications are intended to open on the 1st of November - 12noon GMT. The process will be simplified in many ways with the largest innovation being that as soon as you select your dates from the list available they will come off the system so that there is absolutely no chance of double booking. You will then be provisionally booked in and will receive a confirmation email from myself (within 48 hours as I don't spend 7 days a week at my desk) at which point your application will be completed. I do not advise you to book any independent accommodation (other than the study centre) until you have my email confirmation of your place on the excavation.

The excavation season in 2012 will run from the 2nd of April through to the 31st of August. There will be 645 places available. The maximum number of weeks you can book for is 5. You can book for single weeks with breaks in between or as a block. You have to fill in a form per person on the excavation booking system so that we have all of the appropriate details of everyone booking in. You can fill in an application for a friend, but you must fill in all of their details as each application will be taken on an individual basis. So for instance one person could apply for 4 people - so long as they fill in all of those peoples details on each single application form. This may be helpful for those who find 12noon GMT an horrible hour depending on work flow or indeed where they are situated in the world. We will not offer a booking system for groups as this would not give us the individual details of all the applicants, and of course, you all have to agree to the health and safety elements and the other basic rules.....

2012 will be an extramural only excavation, the NW quadrant of the fort is now the preserve of the consolidation team and those who have to tackle the excavation report (which will take a good while so no demands for that yet please :-). That being said we are also re-commencing hostilities against the weather and midgies in the north field as well, June and July only planned at present. This team will be selected by Myself and Justin to join in with the University of Western Ontario field school team (led by Dr Elizabeth Greene and Dr (forthcoming) Alexander Meyer). There will be 10 places in June (first week in July) and then 20 places for the rest of July. There is no separate booking system for this - those who are selected for north field duty will be chosen from the main group.

As for post 2012 excavations - more information will be forthcoming during next season.

hope that this helps,

Andy

Edited by Andy, Sep 26 2011, 04:46 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Andy, all the news I was hoping for, and some. It would be funny if I ended up in the North field again, I was in the crew that started proceedings up there in 2010 with Beth. Would it be in generally the same spot as 2010?

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi Justin-T

The answer is sort of - we will be moving further up the field in an attempt to trac the ditch system to a corner of the fort if possible.

Also just wanted to up date folks to let them know that the info (but not the application form) is now available to look at for the 2012 season on the www.vindolanda.com website.

here is a direct link to the relevant section.

http://www.vindolanda.com/2012_excavations

cheers,

Andrew

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Andy, it will be a nerve-wracking wait to find out if I've made it. Will be trying for July this time, so I'm sure that will be a hot ticket, as they say over here.

In preparation for the big day I just tried to become a friend, and it appears there's a problem with the checkout page, I can't select any country other than the UK. I'm on a Mac and tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox, all with the same result. This may not be the best place to report this kind of issue, but are any other non-UK we-diggers having the same problem??

maryb_10
[ *  * ]
Justin -- same thing happened to me. I just selected UK in the pull-down menu, but made a note that it is a US address in the "shipping instructions" box. My order then processed without a problem. Good luck!

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Justin-T
Oct 13 2011, 08:34 AM
In preparation for the big day I just tried to become a friend, and it appears there's a problem with the checkout page, I can't select any country other than the UK. I'm on a Mac and tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox, all with the same result. This may not be the best place to report this kind of issue, but are any other non-UK we-diggers having the same problem??
Justin:

I ran into the same issue a few days ago and reported it to Fiona. She wrote back to me on Monday acknowledging the problem and said she would get in contact with their web site host immediately. That's the latest I have.

- Scott

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks, Scott & Mary, I'm not sure if both of you are also using Macs, meaning this is a Mac-specific browser incompatibility, or if the Country pop-up menu is just completely broken. Either way, it would be great if it were fixed before the November 1st application storm. They may be losing orders because people from overseas think they can't buy anything.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi All,

Just to reassure you that this will be all sorted by the time the applications go live in a couple of weeks time. We were not happy to discover that this facility was not enabled from the start and can only apologies to our International friends. In fact we expect the international 'shop' facility to go live in the next couple of days as we have already approved the forms last week from the Vindolanda Trust end. It should not matter which browser you use nor matter if you are on a Mac or not or which country you come from, the full list should be there. Although I have not checked to see if Mongolia is counted..... (but I will do before we go 'live').

rest easy.

very best,

Andrew
Edited by Andy, Oct 14 2011, 05:09 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Excellent, thanks Andy.
Edited by Justin-T, Oct 14 2011, 06:56 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just a quick update to say its now working, including not only Mongolia, but Malta, Mali and the Maldives...!!

Will now go and become a Friend and gird my loins typing fingers for the Nov 1 @ noon battle.
Edited by Justin-T, Oct 26 2011, 12:16 PM.

noodlefun
[ *  * ]
Will the excavation registration be listed on the "shop" page or elsewhere? I want to know exactly where it will be, I'll be camping all night across the Atlantic with my finger on F5, sleep is for the weak!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I finally tried to become a member of the Trust today and have run into a problem. I have filled out all the sections completely, but I'm seeing the error message below. Any suggestions/ideas for what's happening?

EDIT - I managed to figure it out. The "BillingState" variable appears to be looking for the two-letter state code. At least for me, changing my address from "Massachusetts" to "MA" was enough for the payment to be accepted...

Glad I found this out today and not on Tuesday. :)

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Card_failed.png (21.06 KB)
Edited by Justin-T, Oct 28 2011, 11:50 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: