Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vindolanda on TV; Nat Geographic
Topic Started: Oct 20 2011, 02:27 AM (417 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hooray! Been waiting for this for ages, can't wait to see it. Thx for the heads-up.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Excellent show!

*spoilers*

The Nat Geo crews worked hard to get their facts right -- how many soldiers, the relationship of Vindolanda to Hadrian's Wall, the politics & laws of the time. Andy, your spots are great, really geat! And Trudi comes off as a star. (To think, one time she stared at me and admitted she was imagining my skull.) Dr. Allason-Jones and the rest of the experts all add a lot. The uncertainty of the identity & circumstances is brought home at the end by different experts giving their own fully plausible ideas on what happened.

There are hints of the violent times, the nature of the sword-wielding haughty Gauls, but nothing over the top. Nice little side bits showing the Severan skull found in the ditch some years back. And the loaded dice suggesting revenge for cheating at gambling was well done.

The children are, of course, portrayed as beautiful & angelic -- you're supposed to feel for them, and even though you know you're being played, it works. (I have a 4-yr-old girl, the thought of anything happening to a child gets me.)

What was -really- impressive to me is that Vindolanda "usuals" were skipped -- no mention of the tablets, no big history of the Wall, or the long history of the excavations. The time was spent defining the Roman world & the Roman army of the 3rd C, and putting the science & forensics front & center.

The best line was early on, when Andy says (paraphrasing): "We knew early that something was not right, so not right it's rotten. And so rotten that it's murder."

An hour well spent!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply