Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
From the archive; Two Vindolanda-pictures from 1998
Topic Started: Dec 9 2011, 05:21 PM (2,086 Views)
kaycham
[ *  * ]
SacoHarry has posted a reminder (on Roll Call) that there are just 84 days to go before digging starts for 2012. Are there any other volunteers interested in doing the weekly photograph record of this year's excavation?

Regards,
Kathryn.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Hi Kathryn,

It might be that the second week of May 2012 has an abundance of volunteering photographers, but anyway I'd like to make a few pictures myself as well.
As mentioned in other posts, it would be a good idea to have some consensus on and guidelines for a few details in advance (from which point; direction; if possible: focal length).

Regards,

Pierre

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Looks like I have first week in May to myself? Although I think Nigel is there. I'm up for taking a few photos but will insist on everyone wearing buttonholes and suitable hats!

kaycham
[ *  * ]
Maybe the volunteer photographer for Week 1 could, after consultation with Andrew and Justin, make the decision as to the spot from which the photo could be taken?
Regards,
Kathryn.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
I'm digging the first week of the dig in April & the last week of the dig in August & would b happy to take photos. I think though that more than one location would be required. I understand that the digging will continue from where it left off last year & another trench will be opened near to the diggers hut. If that happens I think the whole area would be to big for one shot & give some resonable detail. There would also be the area in the north field where Beths group will be digging later in the season.
What do you think Andy, is it feasible to do this?

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
From previous year's experience I think detailed photos of the North field will be discouraged.

As to exactly where trenches will be opened up, well, Vindolanda has a way of surprising all concerned.

T.Wolter

sarcanon
[ *  * ]

As for weekly photos, I would be happy to shoot some for the two weeks I am digging in May, if there are no other takers.

Might I suggest that Week 1's photographer mark the spot (with tape or some such) where the photos are to be taken. Also, a reference photograph left on-site (maybe in the digger's hut) that the current photographer could use for reference when framing his/her week's photo would be most helpful.
Edited by Badger, Jan 13 2012, 04:51 PM.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
I'm happy to do a share of the photos in May and August.

I agree that an agreed set of locations from which to photo is the best way, adding in extra photos of specific interesting features each week as well.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Jan 12 2012, 04:09 PM
From previous year's experience I think detailed photos of the North field will be discouraged.
We should obviously comply with any request for self-censorship, but I'm more hopeful about this, given that there is no attempt to hide the digging there this summer, it gets a significant mention on the website in the plan for 2012. I'm hoping that pictures of the digging will be allowed, but as before, we don't show or talk about any valuable metal finds and the like.

Andy, can you weigh in on this?

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
As mentioned in an earlier post I'm there for weeks 1 and 2 but don't have a fancy camera. I'll happily snap and post but the quality won't be the same as all you experts!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: