Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vindolanda iPad app; Apple goes roman
Topic Started: Jan 15 2012, 02:52 PM (594 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Whilst browsing the iPad app store I have discovered an app which allows the user to view the site as a 3D fly through or on site as an augmented reality walk through using geo referenced Data from the trust. Guess this an approved app by the Vindolanda trust? No reviews as yet so not sure how it works.
Edited by snowglobe, Jan 15 2012, 03:29 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The Roman Empire was famous for its tolerance of all beliefs.

But this ain't Rome, and I and my technoAmish brothers reject these devilish implements.

What, you thought the beard was just for lookin' good?

Tim Wolter

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Which app are you talking about?

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin-T
Jan 16 2012, 01:12 PM
Which app are you talking about?
It's called "Roman Vindolanda Reconstruction" by Cartogoo also works on iPhone, the website To see the company is Cartogoo.com

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
What a cool idea! Must get.

Rhona
[ *  * ]
I got the app although I'm not really sure how to use it......

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Whilst on the subject of iphone apps for those based in "the smoke" or visiting/flying into London there is an app called "Streetmuseum" Londinium which overlays the roman city with google maps including places to see visible remains. Using the GPS on the iphone should make things easier? Its free so well worth downloading. Works well even as a referance guide to those not based in the south but just love maps.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Streetmuseum___Londinium.png (305.95 KB)
Edited by snowglobe, Jan 24 2012, 02:23 PM.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Unfortunately the Londinium app isn't on android yet, only i-things, but the original Streetmuseum is on android now, so if you're coming to see us in the big city, you can download it for free.
It overlays old photos of London over the modern city, with some amazing results.
Available from the android market.
Edited by mooseandhobbes, Jan 24 2012, 05:43 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
There is also a printed map showing the same detail avaiable from the museum of London at the Barbican and other outlets it's very similar to the OS historical map of Hadrians wall.

MissClareCharlotte
Member Avatar
MissClareCharlotte
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the heads-up on this one!
I bought it the other day and thought it would be like the Pompeii app (hold the device up and see a very detailed reconstruction). It's not as good as that, but it's still very interesting. I really like all the maps on it.

I think the next step will be to create headsets for visitors which provides a virtual reconstruction of Vindolanda as you walk around it, complete with sounds and smells (nice).

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Do you know... the sight of people wandering around a site with unfocussed eyes and looking like zombies with head-sets on is distinctly off-putting. You should try going around Lanercost Priory and quite a few other sites around the country - it's like walking with the dead! Horrible.

And if you want smells, hang around Justin's trench - all that anaeorobic stuff he's always finding ... not a smell you forget in a hurry! :-)

I do sincerely hope that Andy does not want to go down the route of headsets. Use your imagination for goodness sake! The site guide book is good, read it as you go around, talk to people on site - you learn a lot that way, more than you'd ever get from a recording.

Don't let Vindolanda become just like all the rest... it isn't and I want it to stay that way.

Sorry, but as you can see I feel quite strongly about it.

Malise

MissClareCharlotte
Member Avatar
MissClareCharlotte
[ *  * ]
Surely there could be a choice though? I, for one, am very happy using my imagination, but I've often seen people who have gone to an ancient site and been completely baffled by the lack of structure. I think this is particularly true for children. If kids, and adults, could be more involved with the site in terms of what it would have looked like then I'm sure you'd have a growing audience for historical research and events.
Where there's a site with very little vertical structure remaining it's easy enough to walk around and say 'Hey, look, I'm standing in a butcher's shop, and over there's a granary!', but I don't think you gain a valuable realisation of actually being there. If you had the chance to pop on a headset and suddenly find yourself with walls around you then the experience would be greatly enhanced.

That's not to say I think everyone should be wandering around looking like 'zombies', but it should be an option, like audio handsets, for those who don't have a great deal of knowledge on the site.

As for the smells, now you've said it, I think I'll experience it once and then see how I feel! :X
Tee hee!

Mike C
[ *  * ]
I think Clares just about got it right. For thoughs who don't need them thay don't have to have them. For those who do, the can be an invaluble learning aid.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And of course there is the Vindolanda tradition of strategically placing the more talkative diggers next to the fence over which visitors lean.

I used to keep a small stack of pottery shards, nails, a flat stone with the greenish shadow of a "ghost coin" right at hand.

Brinno X gets all the dutch visitors when he is there. I do my best with the infrequent Germans.

T.Wolter

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Some people go to an ancient site just to say they've been! Doesn't matter to them if they don't understand it. You could walk around with a large placard in front of them and use a loud hailer giving all the details on it and they'd still not understand what they've seen.

Something might percolate through when they saw the Eagle Eye film at RAM but apart from that, nothing. Not your fault, nor theirs.

And besides, if you are wearing headsets and walking around on what is actually a building site, aren't you asking for accidents? Not concentrating on where you are putting your feet could get you into a serious situation i.e. falling into the trench where the diggers are and that could be VERY off putting..... :D (not to mention suing for damages!)

Enuff said.

Malise

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply