Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tick off the days to digging; A way to raise money
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 03:42 AM (1,300 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Anyone who's marking down the days on the Calender and annoying their other half may want to consider buying a new one to mark the passing of the seasons. Perhaps the trust could try out this money raising idea? Get chest waxing Kev!
http://www.diggingthedirt.com/2011/12/14/the-naked-archaeologist/

As advertised in Current Achaeology!
Edited by snowglobe, Feb 16 2012, 03:52 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Well, if we want people to pay us not to do it it may be a good idea.....

Mike C
[ *  * ]
I sell raffle tickets for the TSA charity, They're 1 a strip or a fiver to keep my cloths on, I don't know why but everyone buys a fivers worth! I'm willing Andy if you are.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I think I have posted this one before, but the discussion of a saucy archeology calender made me remember it....

Mr. January?

Tim Wolter
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 014.jpg (364.52 KB)

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Aww. He's like a muddy cherub flanked by a chorus of wheelbarrows :P

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It's a better shot now the grinning oath standing left of Mr January as been cropped out, where do they get these people!!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Snowglobe I have that marvelous pic of you that would be perfect for Mr. February. But having seen your photographic skills I am treading carefully.....I fear retaliation.

Tim Wolter

(upper 50's F in Hexham this week! With rain of course)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm wondering if it involves me finding a rare roman stone carved into the shape of Africa? Weather permitting looking forward to a visit next week to see the site in winter. The weeks are flying by to the start of the season, also looking forward to Justin's first text of the season and those digger posted photos.
Edited by snowglobe, Feb 20 2012, 03:37 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I seem to recall Madagascar. Or perhaps one of the smaller Maldive islands.....

T :P

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'll let the romans select Mr May for the Calender as found on Barcombe Hill above the fort. for new diggers its well worth the effort to reach the summit and the great views of the site. third photo of said view.

Also a photo of diggers from May 2011 (including Badger) enjoying the weather I hope we'll get this year?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2011_079.jpg (230.01 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2011_094.jpg (204.1 KB)
Attachments: Sunset_from_Barcombe_hill.jpg (128.77 KB)
Edited by snowglobe, Feb 22 2012, 02:42 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Well this might help calender sales....

Oh, for goodness sakes...

T. Wolter

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
If its on Fox news it must be true! I wondered why I was the only one listed to dig on the 30th April now I know the places are reserved for Megan and 30 hair stylists. No wonder Kev looked so cheerful last week. A transformer film star bringing squeakywheelbarrowtron the first trowel that converts to a barrow!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Since starlets of the intellectual candlepower of the vapid Ms. Fox are seldom producing original ideas I think we need to take this seriously.

Note the stepson named Cassius.

Recall that of all the Roman sites in England Vindolanda probably has had the most film exposure in recent years.

Ponder how few sites actually have slots for volunteer excavatiors in these austere times.

IOVI STATORI (this is the personification of Jupitor who gives heart to wavering armies) IT COULD BE TRUE!

I think hairdressers, manicurists, publiciists, personal photographers could easily add up to 20 or so.

"EEEEKKK!, I've broken a nail!"

Not even the manly Caledonian charms of friend Kev will suffice to console the poor lass....

Tim Wolter
Edited by Badger, Mar 9 2012, 09:21 AM.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Badger
Mar 9 2012, 09:17 AM
"EEEEKKK!, I've broken a nail!"

It'll be fine Tim, We always find plenty of nails at Vindolanda, so we'll be able to help her out with this ;)

kaycham
[ *  * ]
A guard might also be needed to watch the shoes in the Museum!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: