Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 1
Topic Started: Apr 2 2012, 08:27 AM (1,944 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all! This space set for any & all details about the opening week of the 2012 digging season. Camera shots on the "So, How's the Weather?" page suggest dark clouds and drizzle. Hope the season has opened instead with good omens.

Fingers crossed for a great '12 and some great WeDig posts. It's all in your hands now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 1: Great start to the dig. We started deturfing north of the fort ditch and wall uncovered under the third century vicus last season. A round stone lined feature showed up this afternoon, a bit to the north of the one excavated in 2011. We also deturfed behind the third century vicus buildings to the immediate east of the big fort wall. Floor surfaces and building walls starting to show up here already. Rain arrived late in the afternoon, but we got the full day excavating. Very good deturf and clean up today and things should get interesting later in the week.
Kate :)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Kate, I can almost feel the mud on my knees, the blisters on my hands and aching forearms from the deturfing...! Sounds like a fantastic start. Keep the updates coming, and any photos would be great too.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I was looking at Harry's sketch and hoping the digging would go in that direction.

So much Terra Incognito on the edges of maps....

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
This way be Dragons!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?

Terry S
[ *  * ]
So pleased a day's dig was possible. Not particularly cold either, as my nifty grey shorts sufficed - I love getting my knees dirty. Next couple of days forecast not good, but Thursday and Friday drier.
Here's my patch, with other pix later in the week.
This year's T shirts are a dark-ish brown.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_1713_sm.jpg (731.88 KB)

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Hi all you wet diggers, sounds fun. Thanks for the photo Terry, very clear. It's supprised me where you're digging, I thought it would carry on from last year, on going west towards the diggers hut.
I've understand Kevins not there anymore, What's happened? I'll miss him pushing my squeeky barrow.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the photo Terry great to see the first turf removed. I saw that there was a job going at the Hedley centre including flat & wondered what Kev was up to? Any one know?
Keep the photos coming.

ericjacobson
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sigh...I wish I'd been able to excavate this year.

Next year, definitely. Meantime, give my best to Andy and Justin!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks to some great shots from Terry S & Pauline, here appears to be the 1st day's deturfing areas:
Posted Image

Terry's corresponding shots:
Posted Image
View of Sites 1a & 1b, standing just west of 1a looking east

Posted Image
View of 1a, across last yr's uncovered fort wall, over to Site 2, standing from same place looking a bit southeast

Posted Image
Closer view of Site 2, again standing to its west & looking east

Posted Image
New trench, Site 3, opened just south of the main road through the vicus, standing at NW looking SE

Posted Image
Back to Site 2 again, this time standing on the main road, looking N

Thx for the great shots Terry! For those who would like higher-resolution of the whole set, you can find them at: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/C5fRDEvBuFv

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
An image taken today elsewhere in Northumberland suggests winter not quite done yet!

Posted Image

(found on the Northumberland FaceBook page)

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Ahhh, the weather in Northumberland for Spring. I think I'll grab my rum and coke and head inside for some AC!

The pictures are great. Makes me want to book a ticket now and head on over, poor weather and all. Best of Luck everyone.

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 2: The excavations were hit by rain, which later turned to snow and a biting northerly wind today. We did excavate for a good part of the morning and there were valiant efforts to keep going in the snow after an early lunch. One new area was opened up just to the west of the foopath (north-south path). It will need to await more gentle weather to get any information from this new trench.

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
SacoHarry
Apr 3 2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks to some great shots from Terry S & Pauline, here appears to be the 1st day's deturfing areas:
Posted Image

The diagram is accurate Harry.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: