Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 1
Topic Started: Apr 2 2012, 08:27 AM (1,902 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all! This space set for any & all details about the opening week of the 2012 digging season. Camera shots on the "So, How's the Weather?" page suggest dark clouds and drizzle. Hope the season has opened instead with good omens.

Fingers crossed for a great '12 and some great WeDig posts. It's all in your hands now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
SacoHarry
Apr 2 2012, 03:21 PM
Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?
Antonine/mid-2nd century is the date of the wall. Rampart and ditch may be re-use from a slightly earlier date.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the great photos the, I can see where the diggings heading now.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
katesf
Apr 3 2012, 10:45 AM
SacoHarry
Apr 2 2012, 03:21 PM
Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?
Antonine/mid-2nd century is the date of the wall. Rampart and ditch may be re-use from a slightly earlier date.
Thanks Kate! Terry's pics this morning really show off that orange/buff Antonine color. They did love that stone didn't they?

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Just to keep all our foreign friends in the weather loop - we've had some crazy weather - Tuesday night & all day today Northern England and some of Midlands have had several inches of snow and strong winds - this has left a lot of roads closed and power cables out in the North East - hopefully not at Vindolanda. Better (more seasonal) weather forecast fore easter weekend, but this may bring Week 1 to an early conclusion... really hope not.

Perhaps everyone is snowed in at Twice Brewed .. not so bad then.

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 3: A full day's excavation took place today. There was snow on the ground, but wall-to-wall sunshine and a biting northerly wind dried everything up nicely and we made real progress. There may be a road surface showing up in the most westerly trench located to the west of the north/south footpath. Elsewhere some floor/yard and cobbled surfaces and dodgy walls are taking time and effort to clean up. There has been some nice pottery finds today and one or two shards of glass.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Rats. Tried to post a couple pictures this morning, but they were taken from Twitpic (a service of Twitter), and apparently only I was able to see them. At any rate, for those with Twitter, you may occasionally find interesting pictures & snippets of goings-on. The Trust has rules about Tweeting on-site, please keep those in mind. And please encourage Diggers who Tweet to come here to WeDig and tell us about what's going on in the trenches so we all can enjoy.
Edited by SacoHarry, Apr 5 2012, 11:32 AM.

SophieDobson
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the pictures and the diagram!

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Day 4: Fabulous sunny day today with cool breeze and some really good progress in all of the trenches. There is a nice slabbed floor (3rd century date) above the ditch with some samian ware and other bits of pottery on top of it. The team on the roadway to the west of the path have extended their trench to the north and south to create more space and see more of the roadway and other features (as yet uninterpreted). Below the vicus buildings and roads that are being excavated in continuation of last season, there appears to be the other side of the rampart that the big mid-2nd century fort wall is sitting on and it seems logical that to the east of this rampart we may be about to find the intervallum road of this fort. We have not found it yet and we will just have to wait and see what happens next.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Kate

Love the updates! I am on the plane one month from today.

One small suggestion. Your avatar is bolts of lightning on a stormy day. Can you change this before my two weeks on site?

Superstitiously yours

Tim Wolter

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Apr 5 2012, 02:03 PM
Kate

Love the updates! I am on the plane one month from today.

One small suggestion. Your avatar is bolts of lightning on a stormy day. Can you change this before my two weeks on site?

Superstitiously yours

Tim Wolter
Will change the avatar before you take to the skies Tim if you insist, but it might upset Jupiter Best and Greatest!
Kate :'(

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sol Invictus?

TW

Terry S
[ *  * ]
A very enjoyable day, with visitors back in their usual numbers. The ground is drying out nicely - except the Site 3 trench, which is waterlogged and now abandoned for the time being.
More pictures arriving soon, and some with the added attraction of the diggers! Those pix were taken as the digging commenced this morning and are followed by others at day's end.
A lot of happy bunnies today!

Mike C
[ *  * ]
AuHas anyone got any more up to date photos we can look at?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I've got a batch from Terry & Pauline I should have up in another couple of hours!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
As promised!

First, an updated plan -- now that I'm starting to get the orientation a bit better in my head I think it's looking more like what's actually on the ground.
Posted Image
A lot of action, all over the place!

Now, to some of Terry & Pauline's great new shots:

Posted Image
From NW corner of 1a, looking SE

Posted Image
New trench "4" just across the pathway to the west of 1a/1b -- a cobbled roadway/workyard?

Posted Image
New trench "5," seen from the south -- starting to clean up & get into the early 2nd C ditch under the massive late 2nd C fort wall

Posted Image
New trench "6," seen from the north -- taking down the baulk

Posted Image
Trench "2" from the north

Posted Image
From about northern tip of Trench 2, looking NW across 1b (far right), 1a (center) and 4 (far left, beyond the path)

Looks like winter's last revenge at least was short-lived!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: