Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 1
Topic Started: Apr 2 2012, 08:27 AM (1,934 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all! This space set for any & all details about the opening week of the 2012 digging season. Camera shots on the "So, How's the Weather?" page suggest dark clouds and drizzle. Hope the season has opened instead with good omens.

Fingers crossed for a great '12 and some great WeDig posts. It's all in your hands now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
This way be Dragons!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks to some great shots from Terry S & Pauline, here appears to be the 1st day's deturfing areas:
Posted Image

Terry's corresponding shots:
Posted Image
View of Sites 1a & 1b, standing just west of 1a looking east

Posted Image
View of 1a, across last yr's uncovered fort wall, over to Site 2, standing from same place looking a bit southeast

Posted Image
Closer view of Site 2, again standing to its west & looking east

Posted Image
New trench, Site 3, opened just south of the main road through the vicus, standing at NW looking SE

Posted Image
Back to Site 2 again, this time standing on the main road, looking N

Thx for the great shots Terry! For those who would like higher-resolution of the whole set, you can find them at: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/C5fRDEvBuFv

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
An image taken today elsewhere in Northumberland suggests winter not quite done yet!

Posted Image

(found on the Northumberland FaceBook page)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
katesf
Apr 3 2012, 10:45 AM
SacoHarry
Apr 2 2012, 03:21 PM
Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?
Antonine/mid-2nd century is the date of the wall. Rampart and ditch may be re-use from a slightly earlier date.
Thanks Kate! Terry's pics this morning really show off that orange/buff Antonine color. They did love that stone didn't they?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Rats. Tried to post a couple pictures this morning, but they were taken from Twitpic (a service of Twitter), and apparently only I was able to see them. At any rate, for those with Twitter, you may occasionally find interesting pictures & snippets of goings-on. The Trust has rules about Tweeting on-site, please keep those in mind. And please encourage Diggers who Tweet to come here to WeDig and tell us about what's going on in the trenches so we all can enjoy.
Edited by SacoHarry, Apr 5 2012, 11:32 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I've got a batch from Terry & Pauline I should have up in another couple of hours!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
As promised!

First, an updated plan -- now that I'm starting to get the orientation a bit better in my head I think it's looking more like what's actually on the ground.
Posted Image
A lot of action, all over the place!

Now, to some of Terry & Pauline's great new shots:

Posted Image
From NW corner of 1a, looking SE

Posted Image
New trench "4" just across the pathway to the west of 1a/1b -- a cobbled roadway/workyard?

Posted Image
New trench "5," seen from the south -- starting to clean up & get into the early 2nd C ditch under the massive late 2nd C fort wall

Posted Image
New trench "6," seen from the north -- taking down the baulk

Posted Image
Trench "2" from the north

Posted Image
From about northern tip of Trench 2, looking NW across 1b (far right), 1a (center) and 4 (far left, beyond the path)

Looks like winter's last revenge at least was short-lived!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
For hi-res views of these and more from Week 1, Day 4, please see the full album here.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi Bill, welcome to WeDig!

There are a couple options for posting pictures. The simplest is attaching them in the "Attachments" section that shows up just below the box where you type in the post. Here's a link with a step-by-step.

The pictures themselves won't show up on the page, just a link (that trick's reserved for lucky admins -- I wish they'd fix that). But folks who read your post will be able to simply click the attachment link to see the picture(s).

If you have any trouble, always feel free to e-mail me directly at text_style@hotmail.com. You're welcome to send pics to me and I'll upload them, with captions, for you.

- Harry

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply