Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2012 Barcombe Hill walk
Topic Started: Apr 3 2012, 05:40 AM (1,079 Views)
Mike McGuire
[ *  * ]
All being well, Malise and I will be at Vindolanda for 3 weeks this May - from 7th to 25th. Last year at the same time I led a couple of walks on Barcombe Hill - you know, the hill that overlooks the site and has the quarries on it. Last year's walks were well attended so I propose to do the same this year. The first will be on Wednesday 9th, with a repeat on the 23rd or possibly the 16th if there's demand.

The good news is that over the intervening year I've managed to get a much better understanding of some of the main features. So it should be of interest even for those of you who came last time. Plus it's a fine walk in all but the worst weather and a chance to get a different perspective on Vindolanda and it's place in the archaeological landscape of the Roman Frontier and of 19th century industry.

The file attached gives some more information about what the walk will include and the arrangements. The most important thing to note is that although the walk is aimed at Vindolanda volunteers, it does not form aprt of the Volunteer Experience provided by the Trust.

Anyone is welcome just to turn up on the day, but it would help to have any views in advance about the arrangements or content. So feel free to post a reply to this if you have any comments.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Barcombe_Hill_walk_2012.docx (14.08 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Mike, you're a star :)

I came up on one of your walks last year and, even though I've been up Barcombe Hill a number of time before, your knowledge brought a different view to the visit.

I'd encourage anyone who is digging on the dates that you've given, to make the effort (and it can be an effort after a day of lugging wheelbarrows about). It's well worth it.

I'll be there on 9th, so I'd like to join that walk.

Many thanks Mike.
Sunny

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
This was -so- much fun & so informative last year. Great to see plans for '12! I'm going to pin this to the top of the page for prominence.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Hi Mike - so glad you're doing it again as I had to miss last year. You can definitely put me down for 2 on wednesday 9th as well - if it's ok to bring my husband along?
Looking forward to it already.
Cheers
Fiona

Mike McGuire
[ *  * ]
Fiona. No problem for anyone to bring a partner/relative/friend/whoever.

Glad some of you enjoyed last year. It makes it all worth while!

Mike

kaycham
[ *  * ]
Hello, Mike. I will be on site weeks 10 and 11, and know that a good walk is beneficial after a day digging. Would you mind posting a sort of route map depicting the places mentioned in your post, or is it fairly easy to follow the path? Also some info or a guide book reference?
Many thanks,
Kathryn.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I second that request! A route map would be great, some brief descriptions of what can be found along the way would be even better. Whatever you could do would be much appreciated.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I wandered around up there on a between weeks Saturday last year. Assuming you walk from Vindo (the alternative being a drive partway up the south face) its pretty darn steep. And I have to admit I was not sure what I was looking at most of the time.

Tim Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
A route map would be great! If & as appropriate, Mike, I'd be happy to help with pulling, say, Google Maps images and drawing up routes. It would be great to expand the "Walks" section of the Diggers' Guide beyond its, well, meager current offering. :D

Mike McGuire
[ *  * ]
Yes, happy to put up a map. It'll be based on part of OS 1:25,000 sheet OL43. I'll put it up in the next few days all being well. Initially the route and points of interest will be based on last year's walk. By the time we come to this year's, I hope to be able to improve the route somewhat and will then update the map and add a short guide.

I agree it's a long haul up from Vindolanda - tough guys those Roman squaddies! The map will include the "softies" parking arrangements, which require at least two cars. If you have access to just one car, my usual practice is to park wherever I can get just off the road close to the road junction at Crindledykes. A short way south of the junction (NY781669) a gate gives access to a footpath leading at an angle up the slope towards the Long Stone. After that you have access to all the top of the hill with very little up and down. The only other climb will be on the return route if you have visited the two big quarries.

NB Map OL43 is only 7.99 (well, it was last year) and in my view is a Hadrian's Wall area "best buy". To save me any worries about copyright, could I urge anyone who follows my route to avail themselves of the map from the Vindolanda shop.

Mike

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Mike

You mentioned a possibility of a walk on the 16th May? That fall's within the week I'm there so this is a cheeky request if you are going to do another walk for the 16th date ;)

(Your walk comes with the high recommendation of MooseandHobbes)

Claire_M

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Hi Mike
I missed your walks last year, but not this one. Please put me down for the 23rd.
Also give Malise a gig hug & kiss from me. ;)
Mike C :D

the tree lady
[ *  * ]
Hi Mike

I'd love to come along on the 23rd, if you are doing one then.

Sue A

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Mike,

I'll be digging on 16th too, so if you're doing a walk then, I'll join you, as my pal Claire_M will be digging that week. :D

Many thanks
Sunny

Mike McGuire
[ *  * ]
In principle I'd be very happy to do a walk all three weeks. That way I get lots of useful suggestions and interesting questions. But I shall have quite a lot to do on the stones project. In particular have to make a long day trip to Edinburgh to consult with my professional geological advisors at the BGS and I don't know yet which day this will be. It may be not until the Monday's (14th and 21st) that I shall be able to say for sure if we are on for 16th and 23rd respectively. But the 9th will definitely be on unless our old friend force majeur intervenes. Anyway, I'm very pleased that people are interested and I shall do my best to meet demand.

Mike

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: