Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 4; 23 Apr - 27 Apr
Topic Started: Apr 23 2012, 02:44 PM (1,088 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Alright all, what's happening this week? Besides epic rain!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
MBetz
[ *  * ]
I now know where all the rain has gone that is needed where I live. Wow! Vindolanda community pool.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Apr 26 2012, 04:57 PM
I am pondering my gear for week 6. short boots, taller boots, wellies, hip waders.......

T.Wolter
Looking at the latest Metcheck forecast for the next 2 weeks it's looking much improved for your visit. Hopefully will do wonders for Andys ice cream sales!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yes, I had noticed the 0% chance of rain on the ten day forecast for May 6th. But had not wanted to jinx things by saying anything.

I also note some hardy souls were wellie deep in ditch mud even when the skies were only light grey. Ditch digging is a different thing from the usual scratching.

Could you post an update on this next week? I won't make my final packing decisions until Friday, but would be embarrassed to admit how early I tossed the first few items in the backpack!

T.Wolter

ps, sorry to see on a different thread that you are on oxygen. I mean, you were a rickety old chap when last we met, and must have declined significantly in the interval! :P

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I will e mail photos to Harry to put up ,I can't upload to Wedig using iPad ? So will get some photos from Monday onwards. Thinking of switching to helium for comic effect when talking to visitors. Will post on the weather after studying cloud,wind speed ,orientation of cows etc..
Ps if anyone does know how to post photos using iPhone/iPad would be very helpful.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Strange that iPad doesn't allow posting of pics. I don't have an iPad but do have an iPhone -- will try to post using the phone and see what's up.

Also, got another nice batch of end-of-week pictures from Mary -- will try to get them up today!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
As promised, the latest batch from Mary (thanks again!!) for the end of Week 4.

Again as ref, here's the latest plan:
Posted Image

Posted Image
"Justin did some serious water bailing yesterday,so we were able to get a full day of digging in today! Here is a photo along the aqueduct - some interesting features and surfaces are emerging. Can't wait to hear the reports from next week!" (from E end of 4a looking W)

Posted Image
"Looking south... Still puddly, but they got a lot done this week! :)" (from N of 1b looking S)

Posted Image
"The aqueduct area from a different angle..." (from NW of 4a looking SE)

Posted Image
"Looking toward the diggers hut over area 4 a/b/c. The planks are in place to keep people from completely sinking into the soggy ground. Hope that it dries out a little for next week's crew!" (from 4c looking NW)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great stuff again, thanks Mary and Harry.

Is the incredibly bumpy-looking area of small rocks/stones in the last picture the roadway Justin refers to in his tweet from 4 days ago?

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Having dug with Justin for several seasons I can say that looks like a typical vicus road.

I used to loathe cobbles, but on occasion you do find interesting bits in amongst them.

T.Wolter

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Cobbles? May need to pack the knee pads? Thanks to Mary & Harry, my camera is at the ready for tomorrow, will also put photos on twitter.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
To be frank, I always take the same gear no matter what time of year we've been at Vindolanda and always seem to use it! Not practical I know if you're flying over from more exotic climes I know. Maybe soem extra cash could be garnered for Vindolanda if they had a hire scheme for things such as wellies and wateproofs? Just a thought.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
week 4 excavators
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_9280.jpg (3.45 MB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
snowglobe
Apr 28 2012, 07:34 AM
Ps if anyone does know how to post photos using iPhone/iPad would be very helpful.
Still checking the admin boards to see if there's a way to make it possible to upload iPad/iPhone pictures to a post. The basic problem is that with an iPhone/iPad there's no real "file system" that you can access. Without a folder to go to in order to grab a picture, the WeDig site has no idea how to find the photos stored on the device. But there are some pretty clever folks out there, someone might have designed a workaround. Will keep checking.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Haven't done it myself to confirm, but it looks like you should be able to upload from the iPad (or iPhone) to an online gallery such as Photobucket, and then link to that. Photobucket has an app to do it:

Photobucket app for iPad

Perhaps someone can try it out and see how well it works, but there are people reporting it as a sound method on multiple different kinds of forum similar to WeDig.

EDIT:

here's a similar app for Flickr:

Flickr app for iPad
Edited by Justin-T, Apr 30 2012, 11:30 AM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: