Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 5; 30 Apr - 4 May
Topic Started: Apr 30 2012, 06:30 AM (1,367 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi Week 5'ers. What's happening? Looks from Justin's tweet this morning that there will be plenty of new ground opened up. Fingers crossed for a great week!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Newly installed at the Twicy & enjoying a pint with Nigel. Dry day today and looking good for the week, lots of nice features coming through. Have sent through some photos to Harry so hope they came through. New tea urn in the diggers hut can life get any better?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Pics came, look great! Alas tech difficulties here and down to iPhone 3G connection - no way to upload, prob til Wednesday! Brilliant road running N/S at east stretch of site 4a/b/c from Wk 4 thread. Great looking drain too in road proving its direction. But so many cobbles!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Pete, if you email me a couple of the real goodies I could likely wrestle them onto the site tomorrow.
Harry has taught me in the ways of file management.

Tim Wolter

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Apr 30 2012, 07:40 PM
Pete, if you email me a couple of the real goodies I could likely wrestle them onto the site tomorrow.
Harry has taught me in the ways of file management.

Tim Wolter
E mailed some shots, wind howling round the Twice brewed last night but a nice sunrise this morning and weak sunshine,fingers crossed. Continuing to uncover a nice flagged area next to the aqueduct.

Odd photo on Twitter @lakesmantis (Snowglobe was taken)
Edited by snowglobe, May 1 2012, 01:50 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
As Harry's State of Maine seems to have entered a temporary Dark Age I shall attempt to put up a few of Pete's always excellent photos: T.Wolter

Posted Image

This is the altar plinth mentioned last week. Something stood right outside the bath house. Perhaps a reminder to scrub behind your ears.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

A road surface. Nice to have that diggers hut in the background for orientation. Swell drainage ditch to the right of the road....looks to still be in active service.
Edited by Badger, May 1 2012, 09:04 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Pete and Nigel uncovered a flagged surface on Monday. They are being stymied by the brand new visitors pathway!
Edited by Badger, May 1 2012, 09:06 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I am struggling a little with the orientation, but Pete says this is the causeway mentioned by Justin. Perhaps road to the right, stone flags showing where the road crosses the ditch. Is the aqueduct later or (cool if true) did it go over the causeway as well?

Posted Image

Dig on Lads and Ladies, see you next week.

T.Wolter
Edited by Badger, May 1 2012, 09:08 AM.

SophieDobson
[ *  * ]
Fantastic photos. It's an area of the site that I've always been interested so looking forward to being there in a few weeks time.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yes, great photos. Interesting too to see that apparently the new road is heading directly into the North Field?

EDIT: never mind, presumably its just the roadway connecting the vicus (and the fort itself) to the Stanegate...
Edited by Justin-T, May 1 2012, 11:21 AM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
May 1 2012, 05:45 AM
I am struggling a little with the orientation, but Pete says this is the causeway mentioned by Justin.
The photo was taken looking west with my back to the bath house the diggers hut is off on the right?
Another dry day lots going on, Andy knee deep in the black goo of the Severan ditch. Some diggers excavating the northern end of the Antonine anexe ditch. Photos to follow. The slab lifting (justins Tweet) caused at stir but nothing under it?

MBetz
[ *  * ]
Great photos. Glad to read that the sun is shining even if it is a feeble shine. Best of luck this week.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Tim, you are to be commended for learning the arcane arts! Thx for that. Maine still functional. Current troubles stem from visiting family witha generational aversion to modern technology!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
One more from Pete. This is the big slab at the bottom of the pit alluded to in Justin's tweet of the day. Notice the intent photographer.
Now, personally I have seen enough Indiana Jones movies to know that when you open up a mysterious pit and lift the stone lid nothing good ever comes of it!

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: