Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 5; 30 Apr - 4 May
Topic Started: Apr 30 2012, 06:30 AM (1,370 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Newly installed at the Twicy & enjoying a pint with Nigel. Dry day today and looking good for the week, lots of nice features coming through. Have sent through some photos to Harry so hope they came through. New tea urn in the diggers hut can life get any better?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Apr 30 2012, 07:40 PM
Pete, if you email me a couple of the real goodies I could likely wrestle them onto the site tomorrow.
Harry has taught me in the ways of file management.

Tim Wolter
E mailed some shots, wind howling round the Twice brewed last night but a nice sunrise this morning and weak sunshine,fingers crossed. Continuing to uncover a nice flagged area next to the aqueduct.

Odd photo on Twitter @lakesmantis (Snowglobe was taken)
Edited by snowglobe, May 1 2012, 01:50 AM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
May 1 2012, 05:45 AM
I am struggling a little with the orientation, but Pete says this is the causeway mentioned by Justin.
The photo was taken looking west with my back to the bath house the diggers hut is off on the right?
Another dry day lots going on, Andy knee deep in the black goo of the Severan ditch. Some diggers excavating the northern end of the Antonine anexe ditch. Photos to follow. The slab lifting (justins Tweet) caused at stir but nothing under it?

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The sun has failed to arrive this morning but may be behind the thick Northumberland mist? More photos later if the camera can find something to focus on!

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The cloudy start ended in a very sunny day, plenty getting moved in wheelbarrows. I am now removing the cap of clay on the north end of the severan ditch (now freed the water is rising nicely under my boots!)
photo 1 shows the slab which was lifted this week and the hole is behind it with the alter base
photo 2 is a general photo of the site taken from cardiac hill!
photo 3 is of the causeway over the severan ditch running along side the aqueduct, more stones exposed since the last image
Photo 4 showing my trench (top square) opening up into the severan ditch looking from the diggers hut towards the bath house
Photo 5 a new trench cut across the Antonine ditch, hard work for that team helped by Andy. there are marked showing post holes on the right of the ditch
Photo 6 showing the N - S road as cleaned today looking good.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_007.jpg (180.51 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_015.jpg (121.83 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_019.jpg (2.2 MB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_022.jpg (279.41 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_024.jpg (273.68 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_026.jpg (304.82 KB)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm sure in the staff digging hut the theories are talked over but no word as to if it has been pinned down. Metcheck is showing a healthy amount of sun for week 6

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Cold but generally sunny day with odd shower, some great progress made but plenty awaiting the weeks ahead. Harry has my photos so hopefully they show the site as of Friday finish.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Having a sunny weekend so decided to walk the wall from turret 33a over to Housesteads, wasn't banking on the snow that landed on me going over Sewingshields crag! Cold but sunny again, fields are snow free. Went north of the wall to look for a roman inscription up on Queens crag"60ft from the rabbit stone" however failed to find any trace,anyone else tried?
David was on site yesterday de turfing and keeping the pumps running, Welles are a must this season.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply