Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 6; 7 May - 11 May
Topic Started: May 7 2012, 08:32 AM (2,078 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Justin's tweet this morning suggests much excitement for the week ahead! What's happening?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ooh! Roomier tea hut, when did that happen? in 2010 there wasn't nearly that much room for people to sit inside (Terry & Pauline photo 3 in the set linked in post above).

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Antediluvian edition.

Deluge forecast for tomorrow. To get in the mood we find a cherubic looking Snowglobe bailing seepage water while singing bawdy songs about the Titanic sinking
Posted Image

Interesting layers popping up here and there. Here is my brother Fred and the far traveling Carolyn (comes from Japan, across Russia) starting some dark interesting stuff with posts coming through.
Posted Image

Remember a few days ago when I suggested that the prime feature of our trench was deep ditches that would preclude later building on top of them? Here is the view at the end of the day in the Nigel/Snowglobe excavation:

Posted Image
The comment from our Supervising Archeologist was approximately "Oh my goodness".

I may save a few shots for our likely rain day tomorrow, but here is a nifty perfume vial. We really should be finding these by the dozen in what must have been a smelly environment. Perhaps those amphorae held something other than oil and wine!

Posted Image
T.Wolter/Badger
Edited by Badger, May 9 2012, 01:01 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The weather is fairly bad outside the window here at Once Brewed, in fact I'm using a waste bin as I have a water feature appearing through the roof so may have to bail out the room. Just as the trench was looking interesting.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Grim rain today - but great photos of sunny yesterday Tim - any chance you could post photo of lead seal if it came out ok?
Cheers
Fiona

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Rain, rain, go away! Another batch from snowglobe on yesterday evening's jaunt up Barcombe Hill, and the swimming pools that were once trenches.

The first 5 from Wednesday:
Posted Image
"Great walk with Mike tonight onto Barcombe hill, lots of interesting new theories to add to last years ramble. Rather cold and rainy."

Posted Image
"It's the closest I can get to an Aerial shot! If you look closely you can see my trench filling up."

Posted Image
"Looking over to the diggers hut, round feature now pumped out again."

Posted Image
"The North South road is a thing of beauty, hope it will be preserved in in some form?"

Posted Image
"Andy's test cut into the later ditch through the Severan large ditch provokes some discussion."

And the state of affairs today:
Posted Image
"No digging today very heavy rain and trenches filling up with rain"

Posted Image
"Looking up the Severan road/river!"

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
And also 3 great shots from Pauline of the state of things yesterday before the deluge. Beautiful images of how the Period VI-B Severan ditch and causeway lay under the Period VII vicus road and aqueduct.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Above is a lead seal found Wednesday by Fiona and company. Said to fit over the bung of an amphora. Seems geometric rather than having useful info as to its origins. I understand that many were found at the huge storage depot at South Shields, but that overall they are uncommon as lead would usually be melted down.

As is appropriate in these matters, checked with supervisors and got the ok to post.

Fiona, if you want the full res. version click on your inbox top right for more info.

T.Wolter
Edited by Badger, May 10 2012, 04:59 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wind & rain continues to beat on the window, not looking good. Good gang of diggers this week made more than made up for the lost time.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather unexpectedly improved and a spirited half day of digging ensued. Jackets on and off every fifteen minutes of course.

Will post a few pics later.

T.Wolter

martin
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks everyone, I had a great week digging. The weather could have been better, but hey, you can't have it all! I hope it dries out fast for the next lot of victims/diggers and hope to be back soon.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great lecture from Andy this morning and a sunny (ish) afternoon, a new area for Harry to add.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_100.jpg (212.04 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_105.jpg (219.93 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_dig_2012_099.jpg (253.8 KB)

Latium.L
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Brilliant pictures, you make it all look far more inviting that it must have been to work in.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Walked through the fort this morning before we knew the weather would lighten. All drains were full and overfull. I hope this image captures the "underwater archeology" of the moment:
Posted Image
Walking down to the vicus site I noted the huge slab removed a few weeks ago. No mysteries beneath, alas. Here it sits awaiting its fate:
Posted Image
On site one crew with Pierre (Brinno X), my brother Fred, Caroline and a new digger named Linda got to "near anarobe" levels. Here are some nice barrel staves or bucket parts.Posted Image
Finally, Jeff, Snowglobe and myself were put to deturfing duty. A few enigmatic artifacts including this rather modern pull tab from a beer can! Andy, did you quaff this back in the 70s?
Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
More great pics! Glad you were able to salvage something of the day. And exciting to see barrel/bucket bits!

So 4b & 4c are juuuuuust about to meet up, and then ... gosh, what to call the one out to the west of 4a? I think instead of extending the "4" madness to 4d, this new plot will get "7." Will try to work on the new plan over the weekend.

Lynda
[ *  * ]
I am the sed newbie that found the lead Phallus :)

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome, I will be back! ;)

Lynda

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: