Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 6; 7 May - 11 May
Topic Started: May 7 2012, 08:32 AM (2,162 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Vindolanda Week Six, Day “minus one”

A long weary journey to the familiar environs of Vindolanda.

The good folks at the Hedley Center were kind enough to let me check in early, after which I slept for 4 solid hours.

Up and at ‘em for dinner and a rather enjoyable “First Pint at the Twicey” where we had more than half of the Week Six crew in attendance.

I have decided that any speculation on the weather is bad luck, so I can simply report that one hour before the start of the digging week there is nothing coming out the sky but sunshine.

Ran into Andrew on an early morning stroll. One word description of the site thus far:

“Wet”.

Internet connection from the Hedley is not working, so I shall post this from the Twice Brewed this evening. Ah, the lengths to which your intrepid correspondent will go to keep you informed. But we must all sacrifice for the advance of knowledge, indeed we must.

Overlooking the north east corner of the fort….

Tim Wolter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

http://z1.ifrm.com/7061/121/0/f5014688/vindo12dayone024.jpg

Lead mold for a phallic decorative/good luck charm. Rather small, how much luck would it bring?

This item was given the ok by the Powers that Be. Several other nice small finds on a day of dry skies and cool breezes.

More as modern techology allows.

Tim Wolter
Edited by Badger, May 7 2012, 05:51 PM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
internet link re-established. Prior photo needs to be reduced in size. Frankly, its not that big.

T.W.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
With internet sort of working a few thoughts.

The area we are currently digging in is different from others I have been in over the past four seasons. The features are a road-the nicest I have seen outside the two main ones in the fort-and defensive ditches. The ditches were so deep and wide that there seems to have been minimal efforts to build later structures over them.

As such the finds are going to be different, we think. Less the sort of thing that would be lost accidentally and more the kind of stuff tossed in with intent.

Or so goes the theory.

Weather uncertain tomorrow, but overall the week looks metorologically better than the previous damp ages.

T.Wolter

ps, I anticipate and preemptively protest photos of me that Snowglobe is likely to have taken.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A story in pictures.
Posted Image

Very, very well preserved wood. What I can't post is the delightful smell of anaerobes that still lingers on my hands. Time for a shower.

Spoil heap management is an issue. This morning we came on site and found the "Andrewnine Wall" across the top of the heap! An obvious direction on where to dump!

Posted Image

Some rather nice bricks popped up just before rain shortened our day.

Posted Image
Seems to have one half of a script message on it. Tantalizingly close to readable.

I rather like this one.

Posted Image

The indents near the top are either animal tracks or more likely a series of finger imprints from the brickmaker.

Tim Wolter
Edited by Badger, May 8 2012, 09:50 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
An interesting day on my end of the site. Theories spring to life, live brief mayfly existences and perish. Organic material is starting to turn up in better shape, with anaerobic layers not far off. But water and logistics will challenge.....

Not as many small finds as yesterday, and probably the understanding of the site and its structures has not advanced much. Tomorrow perhaps.

T.Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Antediluvian edition.

Deluge forecast for tomorrow. To get in the mood we find a cherubic looking Snowglobe bailing seepage water while singing bawdy songs about the Titanic sinking
Posted Image

Interesting layers popping up here and there. Here is my brother Fred and the far traveling Carolyn (comes from Japan, across Russia) starting some dark interesting stuff with posts coming through.
Posted Image

Remember a few days ago when I suggested that the prime feature of our trench was deep ditches that would preclude later building on top of them? Here is the view at the end of the day in the Nigel/Snowglobe excavation:

Posted Image
The comment from our Supervising Archeologist was approximately "Oh my goodness".

I may save a few shots for our likely rain day tomorrow, but here is a nifty perfume vial. We really should be finding these by the dozen in what must have been a smelly environment. Perhaps those amphorae held something other than oil and wine!

Posted Image
T.Wolter/Badger
Edited by Badger, May 9 2012, 01:01 PM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Above is a lead seal found Wednesday by Fiona and company. Said to fit over the bung of an amphora. Seems geometric rather than having useful info as to its origins. I understand that many were found at the huge storage depot at South Shields, but that overall they are uncommon as lead would usually be melted down.

As is appropriate in these matters, checked with supervisors and got the ok to post.

Fiona, if you want the full res. version click on your inbox top right for more info.

T.Wolter
Edited by Badger, May 10 2012, 04:59 PM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather unexpectedly improved and a spirited half day of digging ensued. Jackets on and off every fifteen minutes of course.

Will post a few pics later.

T.Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Walked through the fort this morning before we knew the weather would lighten. All drains were full and overfull. I hope this image captures the "underwater archeology" of the moment:
Posted Image
Walking down to the vicus site I noted the huge slab removed a few weeks ago. No mysteries beneath, alas. Here it sits awaiting its fate:
Posted Image
On site one crew with Pierre (Brinno X), my brother Fred, Caroline and a new digger named Linda got to "near anarobe" levels. Here are some nice barrel staves or bucket parts.Posted Image
Finally, Jeff, Snowglobe and myself were put to deturfing duty. A few enigmatic artifacts including this rather modern pull tab from a beer can! Andy, did you quaff this back in the 70s?
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply