Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 7 reports; 14 May - 18 May
Topic Started: May 13 2012, 03:15 AM (1,387 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Being six hours ahead I shall beat Harry to the new topic start!

Reports and photos welcome.

T.Wolter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
MBetz
[ *  * ]
First time digger's luck strikes again! Well done Claire, and everyone else who has been digging. Great stories and photos.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Brinno/Pierre

Although we have permission to post pictures and discuss things like this I think a little bit of ambiguity is called for. Sure, nobody could sneak onto the site in the dark and find a writing tablet. Not in a million years. But pointing out one spot might just tempt the foolish. Let us just say it was more than a shovel length away from where you were digging!

Sometimes archeology is funny. Jeff did yeoman's service in a deep trench for most of the week. Just a lot of anaerobic dirt with scattered finds. Claire, in a spot that did not look immediatly promising, found amazing things.

Badger/T.Wolter

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for posting the pic of it Badger - I failed to take one, is there some way of downloading it?

Yes, I definitely had beginner's luck. The horse's head was pretty awesome though, and there was talk of finding out what wine was in the amphora - vintage vindolandese, I'd say. The dig is a team effort anyway; some poor sod had to deturf the top of where I found the tablet but didn't get the find. I had a lot of fun, met some cool folks, and hope to be back next year. Will be keeping up via wedig til then.

Edited by Claire_M, May 19 2012, 01:14 AM.

Mike C
[ *  * ]
Well done Claire, looks like you have a wonderfull week & had some wonderfull finds.
It looks like it was well worth it, after all your posts, finding out what to bring Etc!
I'm there for my 5th season next week, hope you young ones have left something for us oldies to do.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]

Just to let Ian and Martin know - under all our hard work digging out rubbish in week 6, so there was definitely something worth digging for!

Cheers
Fiona

Edited by Fiona D, May 19 2012, 08:20 AM.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
May 15 2012, 03:15 PM

This is the pesky bird that shows up every day at lunch time to bother the diggers for crumbs. CHIRP! CHIRP!

As well as all the great photos of the excavations I think we should keep a log of how the cheeky chaffinch gets rounder and rounder as the weeks go by with all those tough excavators who can't resist the tempation of spoiling him!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Claire
Click on the inbox at the upper right corner of the wedig page for instructions on how to get the full resolution version.
Enviously
:X (looks green with envy anyway)
T.Wolter

Brinno
[ *  * ]
Badger
May 18 2012, 10:57 PM
Brinno/Pierre

Although we have permission to post pictures and discuss things like this I think a little bit of ambiguity is called for. Sure, nobody could sneak onto the site in the dark and find a writing tablet. Not in a million years. But pointing out one spot might just tempt the foolish. Let us just say it was more than a shovel length away from where you were digging!

Sometimes archeology is funny. Jeff did yeoman's service in a deep trench for most of the week. Just a lot of anaerobic dirt with scattered finds. Claire, in a spot that did not look immediatly promising, found amazing things.

Badger/T.Wolter
Tim, next time I'll use a good old e-mail to enquire.

Claire, congratulations.

Sue, see attachment for how that feathered scrounger looked in week 6.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMGP7858.jpg (932.4 KB)

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Cute! He's definitely rounder than in weeks one and two! :o

Terry S
[ *  * ]
As promised, our local paper "Sunday Sun" published an article today, headed "Digging into a family history", describing how Andrew's grandfather and father had dug the site earlier. In addition, there were pictures of Liz from Allenheads (in Northumberland) with her melon bead and Kathryn from Edmonton, Canada, with a nice smile. Andrew capped the page, looking very dramatic, pick over his left shoulder, standing astride the north/south drainage channel, looking east. (I know Harry likes details). There were three small pictures of various finds. All this and more for 1.10.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
week 7 gang, those that remained. :-)

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMAG0020.jpg (1.08 MB)

maryb_10
[ *  * ]
Wow! Love seeing all of the new discoveries - thanks for posting, everyone!

Here is a photo of our feathered friend from Week 3 for comparison...he looks downright dainty compared to his current girth. :)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: chaffinch.jpg (182.56 KB)

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Re the Horse Skull... see photo, nicely cleaned last Friday!

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Cleaned_horse_skull.jpg (173.69 KB)

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
This photo is from 15 May - taken through the Hut window where I was washing the pottery finds (and bones).
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 15_May_2012._The_Baling_party.jpg (569.66 KB)

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: