Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
A day out; idea for getting rained off
Topic Started: May 13 2012, 05:12 AM (1,467 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Having been rained off last Thursday some of us headed up to High Rochester fort (Bremenivm). Well worth a visit as the gates,walls and ditches survive to an impressive level. a walk along Dere street to the roman tombs is also worth the effort. Also look for the reused roman guttering in the end wall of the house as you turn up to the fort.
Lastly on a cold wet day the cafe in the village is worth calling into, Digging legend Nigel was impressed by the Ketchup bottles.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_1155.jpg (243.84 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1161.jpg (164.14 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1165.jpg (241.86 KB)
Attachments: IMG_1164.jpg (141.65 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
You can't beat a bit of ketchup!

How do you find the fort by the way? I'm not familiar with it.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
One of my must-do's that I never seem to do! The only outpost fort I've visited is at Bewcastle, and it's more noted for its Norman castle & Anglian cross than the Roman lumps & bumps.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sue Munro
May 13 2012, 09:47 AM

If you head down the Wall to Chollerford (Chesters Fort) then cross the bridge first left then you'll hit Dere st then it's a straight drive to Rochester , the route is packed with marching camps,roman milestones and Risingham fort (under grass but impressive) its an landscape packed with roman archeology throughout the drive. It took us 45 minutes to drive from Vindolanda without stopping.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Here's a couple more from our rainy-day adventure, plus an indication of what happens to naughty diggers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jo.
[ *  * ]

A great day out...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_3536.jpg (3.55 MB)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Oh dear oh Dear....

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I really can't tell you how happy those dress-up pictures make me!

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Glad to be of service! Was a great day out.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
snowglobe
May 13 2012, 10:33 AM
Sue Munro
May 13 2012, 09:47 AM

If you head down the Wall to Chollerford (Chesters Fort) then cross the bridge first left then you'll hit Dere st then it's a straight drive to Rochester , the route is packed with marching camps,roman milestones and Risingham fort (under grass but impressive) its an landscape packed with roman archeology throughout the drive. It took us 45 minutes to drive from Vindolanda without stopping.
Thanks for the directions

Must go next time we're up there.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Harry was bemoaning the lack of additional local walks on the "What to do" section of Wedig.

Here is a short stroll over to Beltingham Church Yard

Sarcannon and I wandered over there on a Sunday recently....some interesting things to look upon and ponder....

I will compact it into a more organized itinerary in a bit.

T.Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I love that place. Thanks for the post Badger! Will make a great addition to the walks.

Also, Mike McGuire has worked up the route for his guided Barcombe Hill walk, I just need to get that coded in. Hopefully soon. Will definitely be nice to have more than the current one walk there.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Beltingham:

We discovered that this place is not called Belting - ham, as we've been calling it for the past 15 years, but Beltinge - am. Same goes for Bellingham - it's Bellinge - am.

(..'inge' as in 'singe' - to burn or char). We had this info from Pauline so it must be right! :)

Could this be applied to other places? E.g. Birminge-am - well the locals there call it Brummagem, so perhaps its countrywide and we've all be getting it wrong. ;) (also Nottinge-am....originally called Snottingaham. I'm not making this up! :D )

We went to 'Beltinge-am' to look for grave markers belonging to my late great uncle's Usher family and found a set of Bowes-Lyons family graves by the entrance. The Bowes-Lyons belonged to the late Queen Mother's family, and they owned Ridley Hall amongst other places. You would have to go past the Hall if you go to that churchyard by car. The Hall's a lovely place, both inside and out, but I'm not sure if it is generally open to the public. However, if you are getting married, it's a now a wealthy wedding venue....

The Hall gardens back on to Allenbanks where you can go for walks, courtesy of the National Trust.

Here is a link referring to one of the Haltwhistle Rings walks 'The Allenbanks Walk' - ignore the fact that the first bit is upside down as its a scanned a leaflet (on the other hand, they may be catering for our DownUnder visitors :P )

http://www.visithaltwhistle.org/haltwhistlewalk16.pdf

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Allen Banks is a great walk through the woods along the river and up to Staward Peel tower, looking at the rock face I wondered if the romans extracted stone from there? One for Mike to answer.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Allen_Banks_bridge.jpg (240.33 KB)
Attachments: Allen_Banks.jpg (127.05 KB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Malise
It was the Allenbanks walk we were following. Rather soggy given the monsoons...
Regards Belting--gam, I can't think of any plausible way that two presumptive Vindolanda altars end up under that cross without the connivence of Hedley and the vicar!
Archeological scoundrels?
T.Wolter

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: