Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 9; 28 May - 1 June
Topic Started: May 28 2012, 10:13 AM (2,260 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Placeholder for the new week. What's happening??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Ok Guys,
Thought I should post some updates since I have been onsite for 2 and a bit weeks.
I have spent most of my time in 4A right back to week 7 with Claire and Sonny.
Continued this week in same area and today's task was to remove the cobbled surface of the road. Good progress and some good finds.
Hopefuly tomorrow will see the end of the road and we can get into the good dark soil. It will be interesting to see what the clay is doing.
cheers Paul B
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 270512_001.jpg (1.06 MB)
Attachments: 270512_002.jpg (1.04 MB)
Attachments: 270512_003.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: 270512_005.jpg (1.09 MB)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Paul

It is something of a WeDig tradition on a first time posting to say:

"Thanks, keep at it!".

I was rather wondering if Justin Tweet on road removal contained a Freudian slip....."debatable things". Or perhaps "datable ones"?

Enviously yours from the working world

T. Wolter

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Paul,

thanks for the photos.
Having spent 2 weeks in that trench, I really do want to see what's going on at the bottom of it!

TTFN
MooseandHobbes (AKA Sunny :D )

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Oooh, gosh, exciting to see it get uncovered further, thank you for posting these.

So the structures that look a bit like walls there are road foundations? What about the channel that seems to be between them which we thought might be a drain at the bottom - slopes away and almost no finds except at the very bottom of it? What are people thinking about it now?
Edited by Claire_M, May 29 2012, 06:03 AM.

Justin
[ *  * ]
should've read datable Tim - blaming my new phone keyboard and sausage fingers. Basically we got a pot stamp and a coin in the road fabric - great dating!

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
^ Like

(although I quite liked 'debatable' too :D )

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Best typo ever!

Also, a heads-up. As you probably saw from Justin's tweet this morning, the North Field is being opened again. In past years, WeDig'ers were asked not to discuss North Field work. That's been relaxed a bit for 2012. I won't be marking North Field trenches on maps/plans, but Andy says that WeDig'ers can post what's going on -- following the same rules as the other trenches. Keep in mind that the North Field lies outside Vindolanda's walls and site security is always an issue. But with that, happy digging & posting!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great to see the North field work starting up, and that the digger is helping out! Quite a big swath cleared already. After re-reading the plan for the summer it looks like the vast majority of the late July folks (like me) will be digging there, so I'm hoping we'll continue to get the high quality and frequent updates/photos/tweets, matching what we've been seeing from the vicus this season already. Can't wait to see what starts popping up, the possible ditches sound like a great start.

BeverlyJ
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm really interested to see the progress of the North Field. I was digging in the North Field in 2010 with Beth's team - it was a great time. And we found some good stuff :D

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Day two in 4A,
We finally cleared the road in the final minutes before lunch. One or two good finds which will help with dating.
Speaking of which after Justin's twitter yesterday morning we did find some good dateable finds including an amphora handle with stamp. So that should keep him happy.
After lunch we split into groups to work the 3 distinct drains from the previous weeks diggings.
So yes Claire, I am working the drain you and I worked in week 7,
Marcel and Ian are working Sunny's patch and Lisa is working in the "horse head trench"
I have included a photoof the work progressing to the West of out trench which is beig openedup this week.
Cheers Paul
ps. Thanks for the welcome Badger
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_001.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_003.jpg (1.09 MB)
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_006.jpg (1.06 MB)
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_007.jpg (1.06 MB)
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_009.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: 4a_tuesday_004.jpg (1.06 MB)
Edited by bishpt, May 29 2012, 11:48 AM.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Respectfully, I think you may find that the 'A' suffix refers to excavations within the fort area which was last year and that the 'B' suffix refers to the current excavations in the vicus/settlement in the western area. So its 4B, not 4A

However, Andy, Justin and Kate may have changed the naming pattern since last week, just to confuse us poor diggers, potsherd & bone washers and those who log in the finds in the Museum... :D

From 'A Potsherd & Bone Washer' for the last 3 weeks
Edited by Malise McGuire, May 30 2012, 08:14 AM.

David Ingham
[ *  * ]
Um, ah....respectfully, Malise, I think you may find that Paul's 'A' suffix refers to Harry's plan of the trenches for 2012. It's you doing the confusing!

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Well..... perhaps it might be made a bit more clear, then, for those obvious dumbos like me :'(

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Malise
Harry and I have discussed this problem. I don't think his scheme anticipated trenches proliferating a la Somme front.
With this many people digging the vicus, and with the number of trenches started and stopped due to water it really is getting cumbersome.
I rather like trench "nick names" but this is not a season long solution.
An alphanumeric system with trench coordinates is a possiblity.....
Thank goodness, and contributors, for frequent visual cues.

T.Wolter

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: