Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 9; 28 May - 1 June
Topic Started: May 28 2012, 10:13 AM (2,205 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Placeholder for the new week. What's happening??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Yeah. I'm looking at doing the Wk 7 end-of-week update right now, and scratching my head.

Fighting the flooding made it tricky to start. And now of course the vicus is being the vicus. There's features overlaid, running across each other... new trenches start in one place and then morph back toward older ones.

For the moment, will just plow ahead with current system. It's wildly imperfect, but at least can get eyes sort-of focused on what's happening where.

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Am with Malise - system for us dum dums please! If it's a vote, trench nicknames linked to features for general forum discussion works for me.

Edited by Claire_M, May 30 2012, 09:04 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
With all the overlap of features, nicknames could get really nutty too. "This is a picture of 'Post House' which a few weeks ago was known as 'Cobbled Alley' which back early in the year was 'Colonial Corner' -- no, not that one, there's new colonials down in the western side now -- which was once the eastern side of 4a"!

But I'm certainly open to trying things that work the best for the most folks. The very least I can do is try to get caught up with the site plans and have a map/plan handy for each week. Here's a provisional one for how I understand things on the ground this wk. Will surely change at least around the edges, but a decent start:

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
If it's helpful, here's a closeup showing Badger's terms for the areas during Wk 6-7.

Posted Image

(In fact, I might switch to using a closer-up plan like this for future weeks. Thoughts?)

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
*applauds* Fab, thanks :D

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Yep - close-up makes things a lot clearer - Thanks for great photos of trench Paul - hope you're enjoying the weather now it's more what you're used to! Hope you get down to clay to see what's happening down there.

Cheers
Fiona

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Oh no. We can't call 4d "Sunny Valley" any more, despite the ironic turn in the weather ;)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Seems like we could use a long term solution to the naming system. How about a 10m grid, using the fort sides to establish starting lines? It could be spread over the whole site to include the North field, the fort, wherever. We could use a typical mapping coordinate system with say, A-Z on the y-axis, numbers on the x-axis. Then you can say work is in E15, or if you want more precision, could use 5m grid, or just divide the 10m grid squares into quadrants, ie: "trench opened today in the NE quadrant of E15".

I did a VERY quick version to show you what I mean (see below). Lines are not exactly 10m, but reasonably close, so you can see roughly how much it divides up the site. This system also has the advantage that someone at the site can measure things out from landmarks and tell you exactly where their trench is and can easily be placed on the grid. If people think this is a good idea I will volunteer to set up an image with an accurate grid overlaid on it.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: vindo_with_grid.jpg (125.07 KB)

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
mooseandhobbes
May 30 2012, 10:46 AM
Oh no. We can't call 4d "Sunny Valley" any more, despite the ironic turn in the weather ;)

The whole idea of you as a 'valley girl' makes me rolf.

Thanks for the grid, Justin.

Edited by Claire_M, May 30 2012, 11:34 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Justin, I'm intrigued by that idea. I admit, it -would- be nice to have something that's standard from year to year and that WeDig'ers would like to use. Take out a lot of the guesswork and head-scratching about how to relate pictures to maps/plans. Interested to hear what other folks say.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Ok,
Day 3 in 4"something"
We continued cleaning out the 3 definite drain/trench systems today although our anticipated hoarde of finds didn't eventuate.
My drain drops quite dramatically the futher we progress. It is at least 12 inches lower than the week 7 finishing point.
As can be seen in the pictures it is also opening out.
The middle drain petered out but Ian and Marcel are still working there for the moment.
The surprising trench is Horse Head Gully, after Dave's spectacular finds during week 7 this has become very sterile in finds.
Lots of bones in all drains, a deer antler and pig tusk in Lynn and my drain but thats about it.
Better luck tomorrow.
cheers Paul
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_002.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_003.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_004.jpg (1.09 MB)
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_009.jpg (1.07 MB)
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_010.jpg (1.08 MB)
Attachments: Week_3_day_3_011.jpg (1.02 MB)
Edited by bishpt, May 30 2012, 12:50 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Maybe everything should just be "4-something" from here on out. I like that!

Love the pics, especially:

Posted Image

I got those 3 drains/ditches right, right? (For those keeping track, this is standing in the north of 4a at the western edge of the aqueduct; looking south into what's becoming 4d.)

Were these defenses at all? Or just basic drains/water channels for the early forts?

bishpt
[ *  * ]
There doesn't seem to be any other photos being posted so here a few of the rest of the site where the group have worked this week.
First two are of the trenches opened looking for the water sump(7c I think)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Wednesday_331.jpg (3.68 MB)
Edited by bishpt, May 30 2012, 01:41 PM.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Part 2
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Wednesday_332.jpg (3.85 MB)

bishpt
[ *  * ]
New trench south of 7C
Sorry about the numerous posts but I have to work out how to reduce photo size.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Wednesday_333.jpg (4.22 MB)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: