Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 9; 28 May - 1 June
Topic Started: May 28 2012, 10:13 AM (2,263 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Placeholder for the new week. What's happening??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Best typo ever!

Also, a heads-up. As you probably saw from Justin's tweet this morning, the North Field is being opened again. In past years, WeDig'ers were asked not to discuss North Field work. That's been relaxed a bit for 2012. I won't be marking North Field trenches on maps/plans, but Andy says that WeDig'ers can post what's going on -- following the same rules as the other trenches. Keep in mind that the North Field lies outside Vindolanda's walls and site security is always an issue. But with that, happy digging & posting!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Yeah. I'm looking at doing the Wk 7 end-of-week update right now, and scratching my head.

Fighting the flooding made it tricky to start. And now of course the vicus is being the vicus. There's features overlaid, running across each other... new trenches start in one place and then morph back toward older ones.

For the moment, will just plow ahead with current system. It's wildly imperfect, but at least can get eyes sort-of focused on what's happening where.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
With all the overlap of features, nicknames could get really nutty too. "This is a picture of 'Post House' which a few weeks ago was known as 'Cobbled Alley' which back early in the year was 'Colonial Corner' -- no, not that one, there's new colonials down in the western side now -- which was once the eastern side of 4a"!

But I'm certainly open to trying things that work the best for the most folks. The very least I can do is try to get caught up with the site plans and have a map/plan handy for each week. Here's a provisional one for how I understand things on the ground this wk. Will surely change at least around the edges, but a decent start:

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
If it's helpful, here's a closeup showing Badger's terms for the areas during Wk 6-7.

Posted Image

(In fact, I might switch to using a closer-up plan like this for future weeks. Thoughts?)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Justin, I'm intrigued by that idea. I admit, it -would- be nice to have something that's standard from year to year and that WeDig'ers would like to use. Take out a lot of the guesswork and head-scratching about how to relate pictures to maps/plans. Interested to hear what other folks say.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Maybe everything should just be "4-something" from here on out. I like that!

Love the pics, especially:

Posted Image

I got those 3 drains/ditches right, right? (For those keeping track, this is standing in the north of 4a at the western edge of the aqueduct; looking south into what's becoming 4d.)

Were these defenses at all? Or just basic drains/water channels for the early forts?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the pic! Would love to see more as the week progressed. The features over there in "7" are confusing to me -- I hope I got the placement of the road right on the latest plan. Any advice on what you all found and where would be most appreciated!

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply