Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 10; 4 June - 8 June
Topic Started: Jun 4 2012, 06:15 AM (1,100 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all. What's happening in the ever-widening trenches for Week 10?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I remember some archived pics (from 09 maybe?) showing good stone walls, but I believe those were closer in to the road. (My sense of place in the North Field is hopeless.) Why am I not surprised the first thing they hit is ditches. ;)

And really cool to see Vindo hosting archaeology field school!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It's a great set of pictures -- will try to get them up this evening. But at least this one for now. You don't see this every day.

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
As promised, some of Terry & Pauline's shots from Week 10, Day 1. First, the North Field.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Terry also took time out at the end of the day to survey the goings-on in the main site. First, a refresher plan as it stood at the end of Week 9:

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
And Terry's pictures of the "main" dig:

Posted Image
Site 7 from NW corner, looking SE across 7 & 8 (which have now obviously joined into another mega-trench)

Posted Image
Site 8 from SE corner, looking back NW across 8 & 7

Posted Image
Site 5 from the W edge, looking east across 5 and 4a/b. Interesting rectilinear-something in foreground.

Posted Image
Site 5 from S, looking NE. Great view of the multiple drains/culverts that are coming up.

Posted Image
Site 4b from NE looking W across the vicus aqueduct, the big earlier Severan stone blocks just to its left, and the glistening much-earlier fort ditch just left again.

Posted Image
Site 4a from N, looking S. The massive E/W Antonine wall-that-doesn't-belong-there, quickly reflooding.

Thanks again for the pics!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
It really is a great-looking wall isn't it? Hard to picture it as anything other than a building... but what do I know? It seems they were always doing weird things. Maybe it was the start of a super-large fort perimeter whose plans got changed?

As promised from Terry above, another nice set of shots of the day. Can -almost- see the midges in some of them. First a couple from the North Field:

Posted Image

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
And more shots from Terry & Pauline in the "main" dig:

Posted Image
Soggy site 4a from the north looking SE

Posted Image
Site 7 from the north looking south across 7 & 8. A mega-trench that seems just on the verge of being pretty interesting.

Posted Image
Site 5, SE corner looking NW. Overview of the really well-defined set of the now -4- N/S drains/culverts diggers have been hard at work troweling back.

Posted Image
This is across the visitor path over in the old Site 1a from the first weeks. Standing on the west side looking NNW. That big line of boulders and smaller stone is (I believe?) on the same path as the big E-W Antonine wall that's come up in 4a -- sarcanon's wall next to the vicus. Can anyone confirm? The boulders on top look too high & huge to be Antonine, but what about the more tumbled stones peeking out below?

Thanks again as always for the shots Terry & Pauline!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Today's collection from Terry & Pauline. First the North Field:

Posted Image
The cobbling, walls, and other stonework coming up.

Posted Image
Students from the University of West Ontario, plus Beth & Alex!

Posted Image
An overview of the North Field trench with cobbling, stonework, and in far distance a ditch/drain being excavated down.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
More from Terry & Pauline on the day's goings-on in the "main" trenches:

Posted Image
4a standing at the aqueduct looking S into the now four parallel N/S drains (the western-most being put back into service!)

Posted Image
A feature in a corner of site 7 including a stone with some intriguing markings on it.

Posted Image
I -believe- this comes from the south of area 4c (Is that right, Terry/Week-10'ers?). The possible remains of a stone watertank.

Posted Image
Site 5, SE corner looking NW across the impressively-defined drain system.

Terry says "Midges stayed away, but showers didn't. No time lost however." Thanks again for the update!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thursday in the trenches, courtesy of Terry & Pauline, coming up! But first, the map from the end of Wk 9 again for reference:

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Terry says, "In the North Field, the north/south ditch was extended south to meet Sion and Hillary coming north. The ditch's southern end now lies under a pile of stones. A number of shallow sondages have been opened on the western edge of the site."

Posted Image

Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
"Main" trench shots.

Posted Image
A waterlogged area 8 from the south looking north across 8 & 7.

Posted Image
4a from north looking SW across to 5. The 4 parallel ditches/drains in area 5 really show nicely here.

Posted Image
Diggers eyeing their work. Sandy, is that you in blue??

Posted Image
4c from the south looking NW. Drains pressed back into service.

Posted Image
4b from the center of the road looking SW into "anaerobe gulch" and the ditch being excavated beyond it.

Thanks as always Terry!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Sandy, even with that description I'm still missing my digging partner! One of these years there'll be a nice reunion!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Got a few nice shots just now from WeDig'er timadams, with captions:

Posted Image
"Terry photographing the cattle invasion of the North trench"

Posted Image
"Sean giving pointer to Terry"

Posted Image
"Midge invasion. Justin demonstrates the best way of coping with a hungry midge attack."
Edited by SacoHarry, Jun 8 2012, 06:13 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: