Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 10; 4 June - 8 June
Topic Started: Jun 4 2012, 06:15 AM (1,130 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin's tweet for today has a great picture of a LARGE trench (25m x 12m?) in the north field. Also some sun evident! Am I correct in saying that structures there would likely have been primarily constructed from wood? I should remember this from my digging there in 2010, but memories fade...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That does sound vaguely familiar, I think I asked Beth about it in 2010 and she pointed to an area (returned to grass) where they had looked in 2009. The north field is so devoid of features, and I'm guessing that everything we reveal this summer will all be back-filled again and returned to the local ovine and bovine inhabitants, so no new long-term landmarks are likely to emerge either.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
This is great Terry, I was hoping we'd have at least one WeDigger in the field to give us some updates. The image of cows sweating is filling my brain, looking forward to pictures of them, or even some archaeology. ;)
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 4 2012, 03:55 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
SacoHarry
Jun 4 2012, 07:46 PM
The massive E/W Antonine wall-that-doesn't-belong-there, quickly reflooding.
Is it possible they put this odd wall in is as part of some kind of anti-flooding or water-redirecting measure? Basically shoring up a bank behind, with the intention of directing water away from the fort area? Or to collect it? It also seems like it can't be coincidence that the later drain parallels it exactly.

That's a really nice bit of wall, clearly some substantial effort was put into it for a significant reason in their eyes. Trying to come up with something plausible from 3,000 miles away...
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 5 2012, 02:50 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The stones in the north field definitely look like, well, something... Maybe even a road?
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 5 2012, 11:13 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great pictures again, interesting stuff everywhere you look...

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Nice shots.
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 8 2012, 10:55 PM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply