Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 11; 11 June - 15 June
Topic Started: Jun 11 2012, 10:02 AM (711 Views)
SophieDobson
[ *  * ]
I have some pictures to put up from Week 11 and can do so later on - But let me update you on here about the North Field (which may repeat some of the blog, but bear with)

There was a lot of wet weather over the weekend from Weeks 10 -11 and that meant a lot of bailing out in the first hour - but what the rain also showed was some dark stains in the North part of the trench to the left of the ditch we had been working on in Week 10.

Avril and Ian troweled that area to see what it could yield. Most of the other groups then started to dig deeper ditches in the Southern part of the trench.

I, with a student archaelogist called Gary, worked on a rubble wall that was almost central to the trench, starting in the middle and going towards the East. Even though it had been lovingly cleaned up the week before it was decided that the wall meant nothing and we were to remove it and dig a deep trench underneath, like everyone else was.

Gary and I removed the stones from the ditch only to find that underneath was a stone drain system - that we were not expecting. This was when things started to make more sense in the trench - for example - the ditch from Week 10 stopped at the point where the stone drain started. We also discovered, through the difference in soil, that at the point where the ditch met the drain, there had been a dip pit - so the suggestion was that water collected in the ditch - went into the pit and was siphoned off somewhere in the stone drain?

I will put up some pictures later on which will hopefully make more sense of this. If you have any questions about last week then let me have them!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SophieDobson
[ *  * ]
*correction. Gary and I removed the stones from the wall in the trench..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply