Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 12; 18 June - 22 June
Topic Started: Jun 18 2012, 07:15 AM (1,129 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Placeholder for Wk 12. What's happening? Justin's tweet this morning shows an ever-wider trench at the west of the site (7 & 8 on previous weekly maps) as the lower ground stays waterlogged.

Hope for a great week of digging & lots of pictures & stories!

- Harry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Also, the Canadian team has posted a nice update on the work they're doing in the vicus: http://westernclassicalstudies.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/in-the-vicus-excavating-at-vindolanda/

Excerpt: "...Following a drain feature further South within the trench. This has thus far involved de-turfing a new area, troweling back our uncovered ground, and exposing uncovered features and changes in the make-up of the soil. As the sun has been shining (quite surprisingly!) and the dirt is quite wet (not at all surprising!) it has been very hard but still very pleasurable work. Signs of life abound and we are constantly uncovering pottery and animal bones all good signals that this area was well lived in by ancient peoples."

Good photos of area 7/8 too.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Jun 21 2012, 09:30 AM
We are certainly looking forward to updates on your tour of duty....the late summer weeks so often are less reported upon.

Tim - I will definitely be doing a daily report. In 2010 I did it as my own blog outside WeDig, I'm thinking I'll probably do that again. However, I do remember it sucking up at least an hour to an hour and a half of time each evening, so the thought of sending Harry 5 or 6 pictures with 1-line captions definitely has a certain appeal! B)
If nobody reports on the vicus during that week I will try to get at least some end-of-the-day shots to WeDig.

SacoHarry

I noticed on one of snowglobe's pictures from a couple days ago what looks like a farm track running just past the southern edge of the trench. Picture attached. But I don't know if that's the same feature or is just from a recent tractor pass.

Ah, you're probably right, a much simpler explanation and the position of it looks to match pretty well with the aerial shot. I tend to look at the landscape now with the first thought that everything is Roman!
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 21 2012, 10:08 AM.

Rosie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Today has been rained off after an hour of digging this morning. Forecast for tomorrow is not looking good. The well, pit, victorian trench will have to wait for drier conditions.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Quote:

SacoHarry I noticed on one of snowglobe's pictures from a couple days ago what looks like a farm track running just past the southern edge of the trench. Picture attached. But I don't know if that's the same feature or is just from a recent tractor pass.

You may remember a large spoil heap alongside the gate? Well it got moved the third week of May by 2 hired tractors who trundled across the North Field and dumped it over the far side.

So it was not 'one tractor pass' but 2 constantly working to and fro. It got interesting when they met passing traffic on the Stanegate! :D

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Rain pouring down again here on the Wall, thick mist shrouded the Twice Brewed last night ,very atmospheric.

martin
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/june-2012/article/archaeologists-excavate-massive-timber-structure-at-site-of-ancient-roman-fort
Here's an article about what they're up to further west.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
weekly photo of group

Andy
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMAG0035.jpg (1.47 MB)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Oh well, group photograph at 10am says it all about the weather today. Hopefully better weather next week? Thanks for posting Andy.
Sent through images to Harry so givern the time difference it my be later before they appear?
Edited by snowglobe, Jun 22 2012, 06:32 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Am I right in saying that this is one of the rainiest digging seasons for a long time? I feel for this week's digging crew, especially those who only signed up for one week and lost both their last two days to rain.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
snowglobe's last set of pics say it all:

First, two from a very brief Thursday:
Posted Image
"Hi, terrible weather here but an hour of digging was completed. Alex removing the iron stone Block using surgical techniques!"

Posted Image
"Hi, the site this afternoon, rain may be slowing down ?"

It wasn't slowing down. Two from this morning.
Posted Image
"Hi my walk down the stane gate to the site this morning was a wet one, all called off and goodbyes said, hopefully will get some photos next week. Seems they are on the verge of cracking the water source on site. Two more water tanks appearing, now underwater."

Posted Image
"Hi,the burn is running fast and may convert the Vindolanda temple into an aquarium?"

Well, the new water tanks sound exciting! My guess is that right about now, they're full.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Rain hitting the windows again at the twice brewed, horrendous day walking yesterday, looking drier for the week ahead ,Welles recommended if turning up Monday

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: