Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 13; 25 June - 29 June
Topic Started: Jun 24 2012, 09:14 AM (1,815 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy was in the trenches this afternoon pumping them out so hopefully the weather will behave? Never seen the ground in summer so waterlogged.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Those clever Romans. I had been thinking it would need lead, which the Romans were very adept at using in water supply systems (the adjustable/shut-off valves from Pompeii blew my mind when I saw them the other day in Boston), and I figured some of the lining would have been left behind for us to find. But clay would do the trick pretty well as long as it stayed damp. Which as we know, is a given in that particular spot...

I wonder if they've found anything dateable in the tank yet?
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 26 2012, 11:58 AM.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Fantastic photos Pete - your pictures always appreciated - never think not.

Can't get up for Friends night, but regards to all and I really hope all diggers get better weather than so far this season. :)

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
I've just seen Justin's tweet. Rained off again. The weather webcams tell a sorry tale :'(

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
mooseandhobbes
Jun 27 2012, 07:52 AM
I've just seen Justin's tweet. Rained off again. The weather webcams tell a sorry tale :'(

Holy wow! The Winshields one is nothing but a big ball of gray. The other two little better. :(

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Rain all night and a misty morning which turned to rain, managed a mornings digging (sliding) then retired for a long lunch and a lecture on leather shoes by Beth.
Lodging photos with Harry, glad they are coming in useful.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
This morning's batch from a waterlogged snowglobe!

Posted Image
"Got a mornings work in but constant heavy drizzle after a night of rain put a stop to things by noon."

Posted Image
"A view today of the drain that appears to run from the water tank."

Posted Image
"Earlier today plenty of organics coming from the ditch, test trench top right showing black ditch silt, same ditch or double ditch?"

Posted Image
"Badly messed up picture with a wall showing centre left, well feature Centre and the road running top left across the blue pipe, note ice cream kiosk window top centre, god loves an optimist!"

Posted Image
"Looking north east (to the diggers shed) the tank resumes its task after 1800 years"

Posted Image
"Another of my panoramic shots looking east, no Barcombe hill today."

Posted Image
"Looking south from the diggers hut"
(larger version available here)

Posted Image
"Very muddy up in the north field, ice creams this year are great even in the rain"

Posted Image
"Looking east over the water tank"

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The story so far:

Posted Image

MissClareCharlotte
Member Avatar
MissClareCharlotte
[ *  * ]
Noo! Not more rain. I feel sorry for you all. :(
I thought the rain would clear up when I cleared off, as I seem to make it rain wherever I go!

I don't know why but I found that photo of the water tank amazing - I guess, like you wrote, that's the first time it's been used in 1800 years... wow!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
+1 on the water tank shot. An eerie feeling of a connection across the centuries being reestablished.

Is there any sign yet of what the physical supply line was to the tank? Presumably the spring fed it, but any evidence of how the spring water ended up in the tank?

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
De turfing is moving the trench west so you may get an answer in the coming weeks, alas I will be long gone.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
MissClareCharlotte, I'm with you in your admiration of the water tank. I am currently loving it, and looking forward to seeing it in the flesh later on in the season (please don't let Andy hoik it out!).

I am also currently taking my hat off to the smiling, ice-cream wielding diggers. Their fortitude and good nature does them credit. And, as always, thanks to Snowglobe for the excellent pictures.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
always remember the text of Vindolanda tablet 234:

"Flavius Cerialis to his September, greetings. Tomorrow, which is 5 October, as you wish my lord, I will provide some goods (?) ... by means of which (?) we may endure the storms even if they are troublesome."

Badger

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
"Flavius Cerialis to his September, greetings. Tomorrow, which is 5 October 28 June, as you wish my lord, I will provide some goods (?) ice cream ... by means of which (?) we may endure the storms even if they are troublesome." ;)

Edited by mooseandhobbes, Jun 27 2012, 01:08 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
These feeds really need a "like" button. Sunny we'll get the trust to sent you incomplete tablets for translation but surely they should be eating gellato as Italians?

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Got enough time this morning to shovel out mud and bail before the rain hit again, just missed being hit by lighting in the Twicy car park! Never been so lose to a bolt of lightning. Had a lecture by.Barbara this morning and Anthony gave a talk on the tablets this afternoon, rained off but the oppitunity to hear two experts talk was a treat. Photos to follow. Rain on a biblical level on site. They should have never lifted up that slab of stone!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: