Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 13; 25 June - 29 June
Topic Started: Jun 24 2012, 09:14 AM (1,769 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It will be interesting to see how big that water tank really is. From the amount of water going through the site I would have expected something larger.
I must admit to knowing little about roman water tanks....you generally see them in the fort with thin stone upright slabs above the ground. Would a set into the ground one need a pump of some sort?
Dig on.
Yes Snowglobe your pictures are being viewed with envy.
Badger
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
always remember the text of Vindolanda tablet 234:

"Flavius Cerialis to his September, greetings. Tomorrow, which is 5 October, as you wish my lord, I will provide some goods (?) ... by means of which (?) we may endure the storms even if they are troublesome."

Badger

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Has Snowglobe offended the gods?

Above is from the reverse of a denarius of Severus Alexander. IOVI PROPUGNATORI means Jupitor the Front Line Fighter.

And he is getting ready to throw another bolt!

Duck!

T.Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I feel for the diggers and staffers. How frustrating. I understand that there are restrictions on this sort of thing but one wonders if there could not be some way to dig longer hours when the sun is shining. Long days this time of year...would health and safety regs allow an early evening session after all concerned had rested and hydrated after the labors of the afternoon? Probably not. Or a Saturday session for those able to be there? I know folks staying on for a second week would sure jump at the chance.
Just railing at an often unfair universe.
Probably get the thunderbolt thrown at me next.....

T. Wolter

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
OK, the rain is now officially no longer funny.
I know that spot in Newcastle. Bought a sandwich at the shoppe in the center of the photo on my way to the airport.

T.Wolter

kudos to our intrepid photographer Snowglobe. This has not been an easy two weeks, and his pics are the equivalent of combat photos.

T

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply